idiot landowner on adjoining farm

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by bgkyarcher, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    I agree, im just gonna start trappin... Lookin forwatd to catchin all the yotes, cats, grinners and all the other critters around my farms....

2. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    I legally hunt, and stay within harvest limits, now back to the question, do you think its ok to tresspass?

3. Nope go back and look at what I have said. I have clearly stated that dogs need to be kept under control and when they are not it is the owners fault. I also have been clear about it never being OK to shoot a dog for trespassing alone. No threat to you, your family, or your livestock then you have no right to shoot under the law.PERIOD

4. See this is what I am talking about Check out line 3.

http://162.114.4.13/KRS/150-00/410.PDF

5. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    Ill end with this. Im not breakin any laws. I know the laws, and hunting guide lines. We all have different beliefs, opinions, and we were all raised a little different. If we all abide by the laws, stay where we are supposed to be, there wont be any problems. I believe in respecting land owners, and neighboring farms owners. You do what you think is right, and ill do the same. Good luck huntin..

6. etownhunter

etownhunter 12 pointer

Mar 21, 2004
    Central ky
    Lmao, ive got lots of critters here, coons, fox, bobcat, grinners, coyotes, the list goes on and on.

7. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Gotcha. I don't know. He obviously doesn't allow hunting. My cuz has not had anyone small game hunting for several years. Just about 80 acres and never had anything to hunt before CRP this year. He told my dad about seeing a bunch of rabbits so they went. First time they've been there ever. Could he have experienced problems from other neighbors? Perhaps. Based on him telling my cuz to quit shooting their guns on their own land because it was spooking his deer leads me to believe he's out there. The gall to tell someone to not shoot on their own property?

8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Please explain to me how you can keep a beagle from chasing a rabbit when it goes through a fence onto adjoining property? We've always stayed on our side of the fence, and they either lose the bunny, or bring it back. I don't tresspass. In the past, I've had bird dogs get on adjoining property and point. Not intentional, but it happens when you have wide dogs. There is no choice but go flush the birds and bring the dogs back. I don't know how many times I've left my gun and performed that task. I had a farmer come over and ask me what I was doing one day. He saw me walk over and flush the birds. He wanted to know why I didn't shoot them. Friendship established and we gained about 200 acres to hunt on. Very cool of him. He also gets a mess of cleaned quail each time we go there(if we have good luck). Beagles are a different issue. They're going to chase that rabbit no matter where it goes.

9. What's the value of a great beagle?? I'd say about 3 pinned up Whitetails. :)

Disclaimer: I was just kidding. (Wink)

10. You know what the saddest thing is here.......That the "Good OleDays" are gone........ And for the record, It pisses me off as well when I get picks of deer on my trail camera and 30 seconds later, dog pics. Then, no pics of deer for hours.... Just for the record.

11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I don't disagree at all. If I owned land, it would piss me off too. As a hunter, I'd understand, and I sure as hell wouldn't shoot someone's dog. That was cool of Etown to find that dog a good home, very cool. I just don't know how anyone can expect beagles to not cross property lines. It's going to happen, which is a great reason for the KDFWR to stop small game hunting during modern firearm season.

12. philipfleek

philipfleek 12 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    philville, KY
    I'd put a bounty out on that rabbit, it's the rabbits fault not the dog or the owner.

and shoot it three times.

13. jeffb

jeffb 8 pointer

Oct 27, 2006
    hancock county
    I get it you guys don't like dogs running loose, chasing deer, digging holes in your pasture, or scattering your trash. Neither do I, but I think there is a big difference between a dog that is loose to its own devices all the time and a guy whose beagle or pointer gets away from him while he's hunting, or the pet owner whose dog bolted out the door.

The first is being disrespectful to you and your neighbors and I don't blame you for being angry about it. The latter two are honest mistakes that most likely the owners wish didn't happen, and deserve some leeway. To me there is a world of difference between the two. Some of you don't seem to make a distinction between the two.

14. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    Geez guys can't we all just get along? It wasn't any of our dogs, and everybodies getting so riled up. We dont know the whole story, the shooter could have been nuts, could have had a legitimate reason for shooting. For what its worth I do think the guy is a jerk for doing what he did. I think he should have caught the dog and let the owner know that he didn't need to be there. I wouldn't shoot any dog unless it was putting myself or my family in danger. I've grew up hunting with dogs for every type of small game in Kentucky and make every effort to keep them away from property I dont have permission to be on. I've had dogs get lost over the years a couple times. Didn't do it on purpose, didn't want it to happen but its inevitable if you do it long enough. Been lucky enough to always get them back, usually by a phone call from someone who found them. I'd always pay them some kind of reward even if they didn't ask, hoping I never saw them again but also not wanting to be on their bad side if I did. I've returned several lost dogs to grateful owners over the years. If a dog comes on my place, or gets with my dogs on one of my hunting spots I'll do everything within reason to get it back to it owner because I know how much my dogs mean to me. I wouldn't just blast away. I understand people that manage their deer being angry with dogs "trespassing" but I feel it would be better to catch the dog, call the number on the tag and nicely let the owner know that rover needs to stay on "his" land. A couple people have mentioned e-collars and not shocking a dog running its target game. I hunt near roads sometimes, and close to houses in several places. My beagles know that when I say come here I mean come here now, regardless of what they're doing, and they dont get a second warning. There will always be a difference of opinion between dog guys and deer guys but at the end of the day we're all in the same big blaze orange boat. Everybody chill.

15. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I don't coon hunt, but I am sure this is an even bigger problem with coon hounds. I would think like bird dogs on point, once they tree, ya got go 'em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.