Identify This Flower

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Mixed in with my spiderwort.

20220625_065523.jpg

The wildflower is a volunteer each year. A young child whom used to regularly visit relatives within the subdivision knew the plant would eventually bloom and requested it not be pulled as a weed. Smart little girl. It's almost 4' tall.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Evening Primrose

Confirmed.

Those two blooms have been closing this morning, as described
20220625_095316.jpg

Just like my spiderwort blooms surrounding it do each morning. I have since snatched those yellow, pretty blooms for the kitchen.

Knew I recognized the name. My grandmother always had many bottles of that supplement. She regularly took it, having had me take it plenty of times (tons of other supplements... super big into nutritional research she was after retirement, and maybe even before then).

This is the first time that it has chosen a spot in which I am extremely happy. It's right where it belongs.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Looks like milkweed. I mowed a good bit of it blooming in the field on Saturday.

Thank you once again. You deserve an identification guru badge added to your avatar, being how I never added the better photos. I actually tried to permanently kill them last year (snatched seed pods, dug that area up...) but glad that I failed. I am growing rather fond of it and enjoy its scent.

I always attempted to mow around the small patch but would eventually run over it, myself, simply because of placement (would accidentally knock them). It takes much abuse but I do have less this year, thus far, for the effort.

Anyway, I just read that it hosts monarch butterfly caterpillars, and my bluebirds eat those. The short article was interesting. I may edit and link it. It also attracts other critters they likely eat and is within a few feet of one of their preferred boxes.

Latest posts