ID Please

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by HuntressOfLight, Dec 1, 2019.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 6 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Has anyone ever looked up into the tree canopies at night during approximately 30F• temperatures, noting what appeared to be something quite similar to a vast colony of lightning bugs celebrating Christmas, via displaying rapid fire illumination of primarily green, but also some blue, with the occasional red? I have done so one December, here, and hope to do so once again, this year, being that I have my camera with me, this time. I attempted photos of such with a cell phone camera, but that method is nothing that I have much experience with, thereby grossly failed, unfortunately. I even attempted video with it, failing again. I am actually unsure whether I would have had success with my camera, but I intend to find out, if opportunity presents itself, this winter.

They were so very fast, that it was amazing, and they appeared to synchronize at times, trailing. They were in the backyard, only, which contains a variety of mature hardwoods, including oak, black gum, hickory and quite a few others. They were not in the neighbors' trees, nor over in the trees located on this property, in a large naturalized area. They also were not flying between the trees.

This occurred a few nights in a row, enabling me to study them in full wonder, and at great length. At one point, I noticed illumination occurring in rapid fire on the side of a secondary, stand alone garage, located approximately 20 feet from one hardwood, with said lights. Such occurred within reach, low to the ground, causing me to speculate whether I was witnessing mere reflection, because the lights were actually quite bright, neon like. I walked over and ran my hand across the siding, in order to try and disrupt them, maybe even luck up and catch one, but I quickly discerned it was mere reflections, which further amazed me.

I issued many online queries, in search of potential answers. I learned that lightning bugs are actually beetles, and some do appear in 30°F temperatures, with the same colorings, red being the rarest. I already knew that some fungi are luminous, as are many other life forms, and so I considered that all could simply be some form of interesting fungi, instead, but most of the hardwoods are healthy, causing me to reconsider lightning bugs. Any information would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    upload_2019-12-1_14-25-18.jpeg
    Did you by chance ingest any of these prior to seeing the light show?

3. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I had thought to mention that I had also failed to do that, lol.

4. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Beat me to it lol

5. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Haha The more and more I read I kept thinking some kind of magic mushrooms/acid trip

woodsman92 likes this.
  6. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I actually ended up registering for one of those websites, when attempting to ID a mushroom, and I quickly ascertained those people most certainly knew their shrooms, even though many of their brains were fried. I had found a most difficult, non-psych shroom to locate, and evidently a fine specimen, at that. I confirmed the identification with a mycologist, soon therafter.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  7. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    I got nothing on the winter lightning bugs.
    I have only saw this type of mushroom handful of times. Its a pretty interesting one IMO.
    [​IMG]

Munson and HuntressOfLight like this.
  8. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Very pretty. What is it, please?

9. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    Me too.

10. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    The wrinkled peach mushroom. Rhodotus

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  11. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You more than likely saw reflection from baby spider eyes.

12. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    no way, don't joke, these things had fire power, in order to reflect off of another surface 20' away.

13. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Just read about them and located additional photos. I have found some suspicious ones located on this property and took some spore prints, worried about my canines, but none were poisonous, thankfully.

14. HuntressOfLight

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    I thought that maybe since many of you spend time in tree stands during the winter, perhaps someone had once seen the same, or might one day. I recall that it took me quite some time to locate eye witness accounts of the same, and I was able to locate a few photos resembling the occurence, back then, with much difficulty. That is about all I know to relay; however, I did just find the following, and granted, new species are regularly discovered:

"
    Phausis
    Phausis reticulata also known as blue ghost fireflies. These tiny fireflies are common throughout the southeastern US and are known as the “blue ghost” because they do not flash but glow with an eerie blue or green light. Females of the blue ghost are pale yellow or white in color and lack wings (right in photo below). Males do have wings and can fly (left in photo below). Since they have not be studied extensively little is still known about them and their habits."

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    May not be a shroom. Might be one of TOADS.