Ice eater on a budget

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by Tman6493, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Bee

Bee 10 pointer

Mar 14, 2005
    Also notable is that water depth is pretty critical in keeping a hole open--deeper the water the bigger the hole IMO. The M V runs best sitting in about three -four feet of water. It makes a racket of sorts in two feet, The trolling motors better in really shallow. Have used 4 to 6 inch trash pumps and a lot of blue hose to a steel pipe outlet in shallow too--set pump as far back from hole as you have blue hose to make the circuit to and from water source and pipe outlet and put straight pipe or y pipe in the shallow water, staked down good, and outlet made six inches under the water.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Brsutton86 likes this.
  2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I can have 1/2 acre open in about 15 to 20 minutes. Brsutton is right about cutting a V at the end of pipe. Which I didn't do. But I did lay the pipe on anvil and flattened the end of it out to make the stream wider.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  3. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Mallard view makes a steel prop. I changed mine out. To keep from breaking. But I never broke a plastic one. But seen them break

Brsutton86 likes this.
  4. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I have melted ice that you could walk on with trash pump. I have chain sawed it before to.

5. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I put muffler on my big gen. Quiet it down a bunch. Runs all day Ducks never flare. I have it sitting 200 yards away with exhaust turned away from the water. Found a muffler for my trash pump to. I can run it to keep water moving so it don't ice back up. I brush it in and let it flow off to the edge of my decoys. Makes a lot of decoy movement to. Never had a Duck flare off it. When it is cold got water they come. I have hunted a many a day next to big water pumps in southern Illinois. Noisy as hell. Ducks land right beside them.

6. Rod S.

Rod S. 8 pointer

Oct 20, 2004
    Pewee Valley, Ky.
    Ha, reminds me last year pumping our field & snows were pouring in by the thousands landing all around it, even standing next to it.

Brsutton86 likes this.
  7. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Shallow water does make it a pain. I've angled my tube almost completely lateral barely pointing up in shallow water to keep it under the surface. Then turn it a different direction so I have more than a 10 ft wide by 100 ft long opening. I guess Will got his setup idea from you. His discharge pipe runs way out and is staked under water. Its works pretty good especially if you run it before the freeze.

8. KentuckyOutdoors

KentuckyOutdoors Spike

Nov 19, 2019
    Christian County
    I have an ice eater. Just nowhere to sink it. I'm not selfish, I'm willing to lend it out for the opportunity of me and my dad to get some hunting in :)

In other news, building one that does worth a crap is tough if you're trying to run it off a battery. If you don't have a generator and an inverter, better be on your battery exchange game.

You wonder why we have our own, It's because this whole homemade thing is for the birds lol

9. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    deep well pump with the pump taken off and prop on the end is all a puddle buster is. I have one but if I ever feel the need for a second will just make my own. I have never had much luck with mine but dont have a place where I can keep it running for a few days at a time.

10. Brsutton86

Brsutton86 12 pointer

Sep 19, 2009
    Harrodsburg, KY
    The good hunts are running it the night of the freeze and never shutting it off. Hunt the 3rd or 4th day letting all the birds in the area find it. Never had any big days busting a hole putting it in, opening a hole up and hunting a few days after the freeze.

DH13 likes this.
  11. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    yeah I dont have a good spot to leave it running for days on end.

12. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Kept 2 running last year 6 straight days. Killed Ducks everyday. Had only open water for miles.

Giveem3outdoors and Brsutton86 like this.