I think I'm biting the bullet

Discussion in 'Crossbow Forum' started by bgkyarcher, Jan 17, 2021.

1. jblack1

jblack1 12 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    I'd sight it in from an elevated position, when a bolt going 350+ fps, they can disappear quickly from the eyes.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "

BG...... here’s my thoughts and take it for what you think its worth.

Brand wise...... lots of companies making good compound crossbows with all different & strange limb configurations to get a more narrow profile & speed. If thats what appeals to you.... Ravin, 10 point, Mission , maybe a few others would make your short list. Which more or less its just going to boil down to how much coin you want to spend.

But that said and being brutally honest from my own perspective when I bought my first crossbow(Parker)........ in a few years or less ..... you will wish you had bought an Excalibur. Their amazingly accurate, you can change strings & work on it without a press and have one of the best warranty & customer service in the business. Their micro series have a extremely narrow profile for a recurve crossbow and just about as perfect as you can get for a hunting crossbow. Which I finally broke down & bought an Excalibur micro 340TD (takedown model) back in October. The accuracy out of the box & simplicity is amazing.... which I also got the crank cocking device as the 340TD has a 270# draw weight.

Speed....... any crossbow around 300fps will kill anything in North America. Personally..... I’d shy away from anything above 380fps or above. As those 400fps+ crossbows are no doubt fast... but also more prone to problems & repairs. Which just like a compound bow.... I will take accuracy to speed any day of the week when it comes to archery and one reason I switched to traditional (longbow) several years ago. I simply got tired of cables & strings stretching and constantly tweaking to stay in spec. I just prefer to keep things simple as possible.....and would opt to a crossbow with speed somewhere in the middle.

Which again ....just my two cents worth.

Grago, Timholt70, xbokilla and 2 others like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Thanks everyone for the input. I wish Gander carried Excalibur.... I'll stick with something we sell. Undecided at this point, but leaning towards a tenpoint midrange model....

I will hold off for a few months to see what the 2021 Gander lineup of brands is. Maybe we will carry Excalibur this year. Thanks again guys.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    xbokilla likes this.
  4. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    My buddy has a wicked ridge and it’s a tack driver. For a more budget friendly bow it’s a really great shooter. I have the Tenpoint Shadow that I got a killer deal on and its a fantastic bow too. I love the acudraw but wish I had the new acuslide the new Tenpoints have. It allows you to crank the draw back down without having to shoot it after you’re done hunting. The only one I would consider other than Tenpoint is Excalibur. I’m considering selling my Shadow for the new one just to get the Acuslide but hate shelling out all the extra cash to get it.

5. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    My dad and I both have Excaliburs and my brother has a Tenpoint. I can't really say a bad thing about either one of them. They all shoot good and have killed plenty of deer. Dad and I both went with the Excalibur because of the simplicity of them.

6. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I’m sure as I get older my views will change but I’m not fond of cranks/cocks, etc...One of the reasons I went with the Mission I chose was because of the cocking rope glide and one of the reasons I loved my Parker I sold in 18 was because of the roller cocker rope. Just something else to keep in mind. If you don’t want to spend extra for a crank then look at one that has a rope guide or will use a roller cocker. Quicker to cock and still takes the pressure off. If your crossbow has some type of cocking rope glide, I swear they’ll cock easier than a cranking device. One of the reasons I’ve never considered a Ravin (besides price) is that the only way you can cock them is by crank. One shot, wait a while, next shot. I go out take 4-5 shots in just a couple mins to make sure mines on and put it up. Now, I guess there’s and advantage to being able to crank it back down without having to shoot your bolt out? I personally like shooting mine out so I know it’s on.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  7. KBA Bowhunter

KBA Bowhunter Fawn

Sep 7, 2017
    Northern KY
    I have a Barnett Ghost 410. Little hard to get used to after 55+ years with a bow. Had it since 2014. Took me a couple of years to actually take it to the woods. I was still able to draw a bow for couple of more years, But with a 40 pound bow and KY windage things weren't so great. I've shot a couple of deer with it now. It's kept me in the woods, so I've learned to adapt. I couldn't use it without the cocking device...that is usually $100 extra!! Do your research. Cocking rope isn't all it's cracked up to be. Even they are hard when you're 70+ ! I'll help if I can. Good luck!

8. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    My hunting partner shoots a Ravin, the one that gets 430fps, and I've got a Centerpoint 370. I'm a big advocate of the 370 but it is NOT basically a cheaper Ravin. ATA on the Ravin is about 7", and my ATA is more like, IDK, 20". That's one difference, and there are plenty more. It's like the difference between Black and Decker and Dewalt--yes, they're all made in the same factory, but no, they're not the same. At all.

On the other hand, I paid $249 for mine, and he paid $2499 for his. I can get a new string on mine for $60, and he pays $250--and he has to drive three hours to a certified tech. His string is good for 400 shots.

For that, I'd say he gets 10 yards more. He can shoot deer at 50 yards, and does. And misses a bit, too. I won't shoot out past 40. I've also killed every deer I hit with mine, including some ugly shots.

And no, Ravin's NOT accurate out to 100 yards. Plus, when an arrow goes off-target at 430 fps, the results are ugly. Heck, his arrows are just harder to pull out of the targets. He's 76, and there's been more than once that he has had to wait for me to come over and pull his arrows out.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

I’d be more than happy with your Centerpoint. I’ve shot both. I thought the Ravin was nice but didn’t like the time between recocking. If I had to drop big money I’d pick a Sub1 over the Ravin but to each his own. I’ve seen people drop dimes at 100 with them but that’s wide open, no foliage hanging, etc...that’s not like hunting for sure. I’m a close range guy myself. Like I said, I’d put my dads little “cheap” Killer Instinct up against any of them. I’ve been more than impressed. Small, light, and shoots hard and fast.

10. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I love my elcheapo (so to speak) killer instinct.
    If a fellar wants to drop $1500 or $200. Guess it’s there dime. Idc. I’ll stick with what makes me happy. I’m not dropping the coin on that. Lol

xbokilla likes this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yea some of the KIs are not cheap. Dad got a super good deal on his package through Sportsman’s Guide last year. The KI website is nice showing all their models. Dad has since got him a KI matching soft case and I bought him some knockoff lighted nocks plus additional KI HYPR bolts besides the 3 that came with it. Old man thinks he’s the cock of the walk now. LOL!

OLE RASPY likes this.
  12. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

Is your Barnett real heavy? I know they got a million different ones. My dad carried a Buck Commander for years. It’s made great, strong limbs, accurate, etc...but weighed a ton. That’s really the only reason he bought another. He’s 78 now. I’ve told him I’d advertise and sell it for him but he has hung onto it so far.

13. KBA Bowhunter

KBA Bowhunter Fawn

Sep 7, 2017
    Northern KY
    The Ghost 410 is not the lightest Xbow out there, but in the scheme of things it's more bulky than anything else. They come with a nice detachable sling and that helps. But I think that even though it weighs as much as a good rifle, I only carry it to the tree or blind. Like anything else, you learn to adapt and make the best of it. The Buck Commander is also a Barnett product and very similar to my Ghost 410. As young as those guys are I'm sure they don't have any trouble cocking them.

xbokilla likes this.
  14. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    I have the same Tenpoint 120 has. Its a tack driver. The one tip I'll give you is shoot lighted nocks. You will not be able to see where you arrow hits 90% of the time on a deer. You want to know that!

15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012

My dad is 78. For years I watched him cock his Horton 175 by hand until at least his late 60s. Then he used a rope with the Barnett and still uses one with the Killer Instinct. He’s a tough old man but he’s not the strongest these days and he’s had his share of shoulder and back issues, so yes most can use a cocking rope.