I Shoulda Made a Teacher

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JR in KY, Nov 7, 2019 at 6:25 PM.

1. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    I knew the Big Dogs make a lot of money, but I didn't realize it reached so far down in the ranks.

I know we have some Educators on here, Xbowkilla comes to mind.
    Maybe he can add some perspective.
    $100K club still growing in Fayette County Public Schools

WATCH $100K club still growing in Fayette County Public Schools

By Miranda Combs |
    Posted: Thu 5:43 PM, Nov 07, 2019 |
    Updated: Thu 6:53 PM, Nov 07, 2019
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Five years ago, WKYT investigated the number of employees in the $100k club, meaning they make more than $100,000 a year.

A spokesperson for Fayette County Public Schools tells WKYT some teachers are now a part of that club.

The school board made a change this summer that extended the salary schedule from 27 years to 30 years, meaning employees with more than 27 years of service were eligible for a step increase for the first time.

All in all, the balance of those making $100,000 plus is the same as it was when WKYT first looked into the numbers in 2014.

If you compare the entire school system staff and those making more than $100,000 annually, the ones with the highest salaries make up 1.5 percent of the staff population. It's the same percentage as five years ago.

Currently, 400 employees make up Fayette County Public School's central office and administrative employees, and 121 of those 400 make more than $100,000.

Superintendent Manny Caulk makes the most money, with a $270,000 salary. After Caulk, a senior director of curriculum, instruction, and assessment, makes more than $174,000 a year.

District-wide, several things have changed in the past five years. There were 50 schools in 2014. Now there are 76, according to district officials.

District Spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall noted that under Superintendent Caulk's leader, property taxes have not increased in two of the past four years.

Deffendall also sent WKYT a statement explaining why wages have increased for employees.

This is a matter of talent acquisition. While our salaries are generally within the market range, many of our leadership positions are below market for urban districts of our size at the same time that there is a growing talent gap for school and district administrators. We believe we have one of the best workforces in public education anywhere in the state or nation and deeply value the work our educators do every day on behalf of our students and families.

Most principals in the county make more than $100,000, and more than a dozen associate principals are included in the six-digit salary club.

You can see a full list of salaries for central office and administrative employees below.

Dark Cloud and barney like this.
  2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Trust me, you deal with and eat a lot of chit in a lot of teaching and administration jobs. Yes the pay has gotten better through the years but a lot of other stuff has gotten worse. I’m pretty sure the Supt in Jefferson makes even more than Manny in Fayette. What’s weird is that the Supt of Pikeville Ind district makes over 200k. Never been able to figure that one out. (And if any of y’all have connections keep me in mind if that ever opens up) :D

3. bigbonner

bigbonner 10 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    I want to know something about Taxes that my son said he had heard. He heard that if a landowner did not have kids in school that they were exempt from paying school taxes on property tax bills?
    Just on one of my tax bills I am paying over $725 in school taxes. I pay my taxes but I have heard that Amish don't pay the school taxes.

4. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Now I understand why principal's are arrogant sobs. They can afford to be!

aaronc, 300winmag, Dark Cloud and 5 others like this.
  5. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    LOL. I live in Fayette but an assistant principal elsewhere. I do fine but don’t make the “big dog” money.

barney likes this.
  6. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    You're a great person I know..

But in ALL my years, and ALL of the principal's I've ever known, I literally haven't met a principal who cared one thing about me or mine. That's 50 plus years and dozens of assholes.

I had to deal with 8 different ones with my son in 2006 because they were fired for being caught with a teacher in a dark room, or they couldn't handle the pressure, or they were promoted somewhere.

Dark Cloud, jblack1 and JR in KY like this.
  7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Be a new one on me...I pay school taxes on everything we own and been a long time since my girls finish school. Being they are 48 & 49 years old now.

8. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Completely false about the Amish not paying school taxes, they do.

9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well thanks! Some days it’s a struggle dealing with crazy teens and even crazier parents. I just try to stay positive, be fair and consistent, and practice the art of mutual respect as much as possible. I can’t lie when it comes to the pension thing. It will be hard to keep me past 27 years. I won’t make much on the draw unless I put in at least 30/55, but honestly, I’d just like to try something else. Maybe sweep some floors at Cabelas to supplement income. I don’t know. You’re not wrong though, there are some A-holes in admin for sure.

jblack1 and barney like this.
  10. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    The only thing I know is the "Homestead Act". Once you hit 65, your land property tax is reduced by 30%(?), but you still gotta pay the Mafia--or else.

11. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    These people serve themselves, not the taxpayers or electorate. Look at the academic results. More than half of their "products" can even form a comprehensive sentence. We need more taxes!

12. littleboots

littleboots 6 pointer

Sep 24, 2008
  13. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    Then what is it? A fixed number?

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  14. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    More power to them I say. If you can get it, why not. I’d much rather see a teacher/administrator get it than say a ball player. But that example is really the same thing. If they can get it, why not? To me law enforcement and military personnel should be the highest paid occupations, but that’s just me.

15. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015