I planted a few plots of Chufa...Anyone have experience?

Discussion in 'Habitat Improvement' started by KentuckyHunter509, May 7, 2017.

1. KentuckyHunter509

KentuckyHunter509 Fawn

May 6, 2017
    Bowling Green
    Seems like Chufa planted in the Fall is for turkey hunting in the Spring? Right? I haven't even got a chance to see my chufa plots since I put them in April 10+-... I'll put them in again in the same spots in the Fall.

Can anyone share w/ me their experiences?

2. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Last time I tried to plant chufa the turkeys dug up the seeds before they got a chance to sprout

3. hitch

hitch 10 pointer

Jan 16, 2008
    Same for me, I found it to be a waste and spend my efforts creating nesting cover. It's cheaper and has a much greater impact.

4. KentuckyHunter509

KentuckyHunter509 Fawn

May 6, 2017
    Bowling Green
    I planted them the year before...and NOTHING...I thought maybe because I was impatient and didn't spray...so that would be my fault... I sprayed this time...tilled and covered.... "nesting cover".... I'm curious what you're going to do...I have tall 50 foot pines they roost in...lots of thickets and mostly woods...so I'm good for cover...

And yes...if I'm supposed to plant 2 acres (unaffordable) of this stuff for it to survive...then forget it.

5. perrymax

perrymax 10 pointer

Jun 6, 2002
    Bullitt Co, Ky.
    turkey and coons will dig up the chufa seed before it germinates. waste of time in my experiance