I never thought of it like this..........

Discussion in 'Archery Equipment' started by hunter115, Oct 16, 2008.

1. hunter115

hunter115 6 pointer

Aug 16, 2005
    Nelson Co. KY
    I recently started shooting the 100 grain slick tricks. My only concerns were the one inch cut. A friend of mine who shoots Muzzy broadheads that had a one inch cut really made me think about this.

He said all the new marketing is about the two blade broadheads two inch cutting ability. He said with his 4 blade muzzy's he gets a two inch cut. Its only one inch one way and one inch the other. The same theroy applies to my Slick tricks.

Just something to ponder on this rainy o'l morning.:D

2. RLWEBB

RLWEBB 12 pointer

Nov 30, 2005
    Staffordsville, KY
    Fred Bear said that shooting an animal with a four blade broadhead was like shooting them twice. Who can argue with him? As long as they're sharp, you put them where they're supposed to go, and you have confidence in them, then you'll be fine.

3. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

maybe so, but I never seen any muzzy leave a hole like this
    [​IMG]

4. deadaim

deadaim 12 pointer

Dec 12, 2001
    Booger Hollar
    Nice hole but Ive also never seen a muzzy that I couldnt replace the blades or didnt open on impact or opened at the wrong time before I shoot it :)

5. top_sgt

top_sgt 6 pointer

Jul 10, 2007
    lexington, ky
    i used the 85 grain slick tricks last year, took three deer, and did not have to walk more than 20 yards to recover the deer. using them again this year as well. may change my mind next year and try the rage 2 blade!!

6. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

Nor have I seen or used mechanicals that I couldnt replace the blades or didnt open on impact or opened at the wrong time before I shoot it :D I recently killed my first deer with a fixed blade head. The head did the job, deer was dead in seconds and fell 40 yards from the shot. Had I not seen where the deer ran, it woulda been a heck of a trackin job. No blood whatsoever. Deer died quick, but I like big gaping holes that pour blood. I'm gonna give the fixed blade head a couple more chances to prove me wrong then I'm back to spitfires, rage, or grim reaper.

7. J-ROD

J-ROD Fawn

Oct 14, 2008
    Bowling Green
    Im not going to judge anyones shooting because I bet yall are better than me, but it has alot to do with shot placemeant. I shot a deer last year at three yards (from the ground:D) and hit her alittle high, but she bled for over 1500 yards and we never found her. It was a pass through with a muzzy three blade. Now she would have bedded down right under my buddy's stand a few hundred yards away and died but he said this little buck chased her and she ran. Fixed or mechanical Ive heard success and failure stories for both. :)

8. Mepperson

Mepperson 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2005
    Murray, KY
    I shoot muzzy and rage 3 blade, I've never shot a deer with muzzy but have take 2 turkeys with them. They are good blades and do a lot of damage. But, the Rage are awesome here is what a 3 blade can do:

Track him for only 30 yards. Not great placement, high and back a little....but the trailing was like following a red paint bucket with a gaping hole.

[​IMG]

9. turkey

turkey 10 pointer

Sep 16, 2008
    Mechanical is the only way to go...the only way to know is to use them...I tracked a many deer and never found them that were shoot by me and others with fixed blades...I will never shoot anything else ever...mechanical blades kill fast because the deer bleed which is the entire method of kill by archery equipment...also they fly where you want them to go and are only better better better...

10. Alfabuck

Alfabuck Fawn

Oct 14, 2008
    The only way to go is shooting the deer in the vitals . Fixed or mechanical doesn't matter , shot placement matters. As a matter of fact i'd rather shoot fixed through a shoulder than a mechanical.I think you better off with fixed for heavy bone. I know the rages put big holes in them but i've already heard of deflection on hard quartering shots , which most mechanicals have trouble with. Not to vere away from the subject , but just a heads up , my girlfriend shoots 42 lbs. and used the rage 2 blades last year and had two shots on really nice bucks and both times her arrow literally got 2 inches penetration and fell out . I have it on video. Just a heads up to any guys whos kids or wives were interested in them , it might not be the best idea.Oh by the way both shots were perfectely placed.

11. BowOnly

BowOnly 8 pointer

Mar 6, 2008
    I firmly believe that shot placement is 95% of the battle when it comes to trailing distance. I get tired of guys crying about how they hit this deer "perfect" and track him forever, never to be recovered. The truth is if you don't find the deer, there is no way to know EXACTLY how that deer was hit. After blood trailing a fair amount of game, I've yet to see a double lunged deer go more than 100 yards unless it was rolling down a hill.

12. usmcvet06

usmcvet06 6 pointer

Sep 20, 2006
    Central KY
    If you put a hole in the lungs or heart its only a matter of seconds before it dies. If its a 1 inch hole or a 2 inch hole doesn't seem to make much of a difference other that you have less room for a bad shot when you shoot a two inch cutting broadhead. I want to know how quick one dies with a rage 2 blade when shot in the heart.... I shoot Muzzy's but switched to slick tricks this year and I love em. I shot a little doe and she only made it 60 yards max before pilling up. If you get a pass through and a good shot blood trails are easier to follow.

13. Big M

Big M 6 pointer

Oct 17, 2006
    Christian Co.
    I use 125 grain snuffer heads. In 2003 I shot a doe in front of her front shoulders with a 2 blade snuffer, hit no vitals at all but tracked her for about 300 or 400 yds and recovered her. In 2005 i shot a buck with a 3 blade snuffer, in the right side and out the left shoulder, 70 yds at most.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  14. RutNBuck

RutNBuck 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    Northern Ky
    i shoot the muzzy 90 grainer have had superb success with it
    i assume everyone here also knows that muzzy makes the phantom broadhead which offers a HUGE cutting diameter for those that desire the flat style heads..
    Any head on todays market are huge improvements over the ole satelite heads..can only wait to see what the future holds