I need a 1 (800)-advice-line

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by travillian71, Aug 23, 2015.

1. travillian71

travillian71 Fawn

Aug 22, 2015
    London, Ky
    I moved to a new house last winter. I seen a couple deer tracks in the snow but I haven't seen any deer. I have a farm pond and a creek in my back yard and a lot of wooded areas. How hard would it be to lure deer to my back yard? Or what do I need to keep them around? I have corn and a salt block behind the pond. Any suggestions?

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    What I'm fixing to state here is probably things you already know ... but deer primarily need 2 things to frequent an area........ food & cover.

Which before you get too in depth with opinions here.... and you state you have a farm or at minimum control the property. I'd highly suggest contacting KDF&W concerning their private land biologist program. It's a free service that can give you insight and suggestion to improve wildlife habitat on your place.

The food aspect ....there's several possibilities that you could improve on . Which you say you have corn ... I'm taking that as in your putting shelled corn out. Which supplemental feeding is one legal option but in my opinion ... not necessarily the best for long term.

A better option ... would be food plots ... being a constant attractor year round. Such as an acre or two of a simple clover blend. Which other than what's involved with initial planting .... their not too hard to maintain and if done properly can last a few years. The maintenance will just involve mowing or spraying to control undesirables.

Other options ... again long term ... would be to evaluate your available hardwood mast situation. Planting areas in white oaks , red oaks ... specifically concerning deer can be valuable. Also ... soft mass and or fruit tree plantings .... persimmon , apple ... ect ... can also be beneficial. Then you also have situations if you have adequate mast bearing trees already ... simply fertilizing can aid in better production of acorns.

In turn on the opposite side of this you have natural browse.... which can be improved on by thinning trees allowing sunlight to areas to promote new growth. Which old growth timber may look appealing but too much of it can be bad... as deer are primarily browsing critters.

Which the browse aspect ... brings you to the other thing deer and all wildlife must have..... cover.

Cover can be enhanced by things such as hinge cutting trees or by product of trying to promote browse by thinning trees. In turn tree plantings can help here if you lack timber .. then you have the aspect of open fields / areas if you allow them to naturally grow up. Which may seem unsightly but honestly clean fence rows and field edges are not beneficial to wildlife . Providing cover and transition areas around fields to have briers , honeysuckle ... native grasses are things they need and look for.

Which I apologize for being long winded here ... but just giving ideas here to point you in some direction. Other consideration though to keep in mind on deer.... is overall populations of a given area. Which you didn't state what county or zone your dealing with. As such ... if the populations aren't there it can be a harder to attract to your property. But that said...... you can't go wrong with improving food sources or habitat. Their beneficial to all wildlife in the long run and provide other hunting opportunity as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  3. racsr

racsr 10 pointer

May 7, 2009
    morgan county ky
    Some of the best straight forward advice I have ever seen on this forum! Well done! sir.