I nearly really screwed up.

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Decided to hunt a backwater slough this morning. Never tried to find it in the dark. No problem, I just waited till right at daylight to launch the canoe. Old 4 horse I have on it was mistreated in a past life but is a tough old motor. 69 johnny-rude with the folding lower unit, weedless design. Problem is it wants to flood. But it fired up and ran on second pull this am. It snookered me.

Of course it floods bad after I am a ways from the launch. "No problem," I think I'll use the paddle. About 30 yards into my paddle back the aluminum paddle bends and breaks. Now I got a sculling oar to get me back.

Moral of the story check your gear, make sure it is up to snuff, and don't rely on some cranky motor or cheap junk oar in a potentially dangerous situation. It would be one cold mamma-jamma to spend a night in the bottoms with no food and no way to make fire. Again a very stupid move on my part.

Don't be dumb like I was today.

Decided to hunt a backwater slough this morning. Never tried to find it in the dark. No problem, I just waited till right at daylight to launch the canoe. Old 4 horse I have on it was mistreated in a past life but is a tough old motor. 69 johnny-rude with the folding lower unit, weedless design. Problem is it wants to flood. But it fired up and ran on second pull this am. It snookered me.

Of course it floods bad after I am a ways from the launch. "No problem," I think I'll use the paddle. About 30 yards into my paddle back the aluminum paddle bends and breaks. Now I got a sculling oar to get me back.

Moral of the story check your gear, make sure it is up to snuff, and don't rely on some cranky motor or cheap junk oar in a potentially dangerous situation. It would be one cold mamma-jamma to spend a night in the bottoms with no food and no way to make fire. Again a very stupid move on my part.

Don't be dumb like I was today.

Hilltopper,

I would have come and got you. Sooner of later. How deep was the water at the lauch site? About 6 feet less than the last time we hunted it?

WE

smashdn

12 pointer
Nov 24, 2003
Palmyra, Kentucky
Hilltopper,

I would have come and got you. Sooner of later. How deep was the water at the lauch site? About 6 feet less than the last time we hunted it?

WE

Yep, about 6 foot lower. Had to drag across the road where the culvert is on the slough. Last
time I went over there in the big boat no problem.

HUNTZVT

12 pointer
Nov 2, 2009
Exiled to West Virginia
If you're in the market for new paddles, check out Carlisle. I've got the 5' models so I can paddle standing up. Glad you didn't have to spend the night in the swamp. Sasquatch gets pretty territorial down there at night.

FOWLER2671

12 pointer
Sep 11, 2009
Evicted from Aintry'
I had a deal like this happen to me today. We decided to use the little boat with the mud motor on it. The 6.5 only has a gallon tank on it and it did fine untill we ran it out... The one gallon spare I use for both boats seems to have gotten water in it and it wouldnt' hit a lick after we put the extra gas in it.

I poured some out of the can and lit it and it burned but left a bunch of water in the bottom of the can after it went out. We ended up having one guy walk out to a road and meet a friend who took him to a gas station and loaned us a few wrenches. We tried to drain the tank thru the carb float bowl drain but that wouldnt' work. We ended up taking the motor off which we were lucky to do with the pliers we had but we managed and physically had to turn it upside down to drain the tank. With fresh gas the Honda started on the first pull.

We did kill a bull can for the trouble!

Latest posts