I lived to laugh about it!

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Carpdaddy, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I have read many stories about hunting dangerous game, can’t say I have really ever done that, but with me any hunt can be dangerous! I’ve had some close calls through the years, and some accidents, but I won’t get into all that. I just want to share a few tales about things that I laugh about now, but thought I was a gonner when it happened! Some things that nearly scared the life out of me! Or at least I felt that way at the time.
    First let me share a picture of something I walked upon late one evening while scouting a new farm I had just gotten permission to hunt... Glad it wasn’t completely dark, I may have soiled my laundry!
    278483C3-0CDD-48C6-B931-9AD1ED6CD6A9.jpeg

2. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    A few years ago, missed last year sick, I made a little journey to Russell County. I had hunted a farm there several years earlier with some friends, and managed to get permission from the son who now owned it since his parents passing. They were the ones who permitted me to hunt there before. The farm was no longer being worked as the son had his own work keeping him busy. The cows were all gone, the old farm house empty, and fields grown up. The only critters left were a couple lonely donkeys and a over abundance of Coyotes. The donkeys were quick to make friends with me and my partner, even making hunting the fields challenging. After making the mistake of sharing a few apples with them it got worse. I even let one wear my hat for a picture. Had no idea what an evil scheme they had in mind!
    D7B54590-14FD-4656-8E06-6C85C32F509C.jpeg 096C722D-B9E7-4B87-BC3B-2A9070C12D49.jpeg

CRFmxracer likes this.
  3. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    I should have seen it coming after my first nighttime experience with those rascals! I had hunted until last light, came down, packed my stand out, and was resting in the truck while waiting for my partner to get there. Sitting there resting in the dark quietly by myself, I heard something, so I turned to look out the window hoping to see my partner coming by the moonlight, or his flashlight. But upon turning I see a big face right in mine! One of those donkeys had bumped the glass with his face while trying to get to me, yep, I jumped a little, but it got worse later...!

4. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    The next day was going pretty good, had a few Yote encounters, even missed a crack shot at one passing by with a Turkey part in his mouth. That evening was even more successful, I managed to take a good Doe before dark. I thought I heard it fall in a thicket nearby but gave it some time anyway. That made it completely dark by the time I got down and packed up. I first started following the blood trail but thought I would go ahead and walk to the place I heard the crash. Sure enough there she was in the thicket. Another ten yards and she would have made it off a high Wall! Now that would have finished me! Now for the fun part. Getting her out of the thicket and back to the field where I could more easily do the fun stuff! And it’s all uphill of course! I heaved, pulled, grunted, and strained most of my guts out, but made it. As I got to the fence I had to figure out a way for this wore out old man to get her, my stand, and me across. So I tied my safety harness rope around her neck, pulled her close to the fence, and hunted an easier place for me to cross. I got back to her, took the climber off, and set it down. Then I went over and got ahold of the rope and pulled her under the fence. I was nearly done for, sweaty, out of breath, etc, but I was there! But all this is not what nearly got me.....
    7B8BC9F1-BBE2-466C-8093-E030A42DE85D.jpeg

5. Carpdaddy

Carpdaddy 10 pointer

May 12, 2016
    Corbin, Ky
    The rest of the story...
    At this point I am exhausted, my back hurting, and I hadn’t even thought about where I was. So I finally attempt to straighten up, stretch my back, and maybe take a rest. But I don’t have words to explain what it’s like to begin to stand up in the dark, and suddenly feel wet, hot breath on the back of your neck. And then to feel a giant head over your shoulder as you attempt to jump straight upward!! You will just have to use your imagination here. I had no idea those donkeys were anywhere around, I was too focused, they had been waiting on me!
    But I lived to laugh about it!

6. Jman

Jman 10 pointer

Feb 14, 2003
    Awesome story C'daddy!

.........still waiting to hear the story on the big buck this year!!

7. CRFmxracer

CRFmxracer 12 pointer

Sep 9, 2010
    louisville kentucky
    Now what you shoulda done was somehow gotten the donkeys to drag her back to the truck for you