I know they're shedding but could they already be re-growing???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Lady Hunter, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
    My husband just called & was thoroughly confused. About half a mile from the house, a big deer popped out on the road in front of him. He managed to get stopped & noticed something funny... On it's head, it looked like there were very thick about 3"-4" long velvet nubbins. Said they were probably as thick as two thumbs put together and completely covered in velvet.

They couldn't be that far along yet, could they?????? There was an absolute MONSTER of a buck that was running that area earlier this year but no one has seen him since rifle season & if anyone got him, they haven't 'fessed up...

2. bnt5

bnt5 8 pointer

Dec 21, 2004
    Burlington KY
    well that sighting would confirm the theory for me. Maybe a buck with very large antlers must begin growing them before the others in order for the antlers to mature at the correct time, assuming all antlers grow at a comparable rate. Very interesting though thanks for sharing!

3. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 12 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Could be something wrong with that particular deer. Some deer never loose their velvet, but there's usually something wrong with them. I read somewhere that some bucks are born without testicles, they call them "stag" bucks, and they haven't got any testosterone, so they never loose the velvet on their antlers.

4. Mr.Bro

Mr.Bro 6 pointer

Apr 16, 2009
    They start growing em as soon as they lose em.

5. gobblergetter

gobblergetter 8 pointer

Apr 21, 2008
    boonville, Indiana
    x2 they start growing when they lose them. I guess if that buck lost em a while ago its possible he's that far along. Hard to imagine tho.

As for bucks with no testicles-we killed a buck back in a high school that only had one. His rack wasn't much.

6. skin_dog1

skin_dog1 BBBC Members

bingo. This guy coulda just shed really early.

7. BUCKFEVER99

BUCKFEVER99 8 pointer

Sep 8, 2008
    Morton Holler
    If he is already growing, then i'd probably go ahead and put mineral block out.

8. gaboys in kentukey

gaboys in kentukey Fawn

Dec 7, 2009
    Were did you say it was at??? I got a lockon to put right there! lol lol lol

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 8 pointer

Feb 20, 2005
    Allen co. Ky.
    I've not saw a buck in velvet this early but two years ago I saw two different bucks on opening day of turkey season, and both of them were already starting to grow g2s. They were on different farms about a mile apart. Both were inside of 30 yds and I was even looking with binos. I kinda had a hard time believeing what I was seeing. I nearly always see a few bucks during turkey season that still have antlers but I'd never saw any growing that early.

10. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Opening morning of turkey season back 3 years ago we saw 3 bucks that still had their antlers. But the amazing part came 2 days later when we had one come out into a clover field that was in velvet and would've scored 120 plus inches already

11. Titus

Titus 8 pointer

Aug 18, 2006
    Shelbyville
    Now that is screwed up:confused:

12. happy

happy 6 pointer

Dec 12, 2008
    central city
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010