I just saw a pheasant on my farm

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by KYBH4Life, Feb 7, 2014.

1. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    Pheasants are a majestic bird that live in many states. Some of these states are very close to Kentucky. I think it is possible that some birds could fly across the Ohio River or even the Mississippi River and land in Kentucky. In very bad winters such as the one we are experiencing now, pheasants could even walk across the frozen rivers and come to Kentucky. Many people see pheasants in Kentucky even though the biologists say they don't live here.

It is exciting to think that wild pheasants are coming to Kentucky.

2. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Those are pen raised birds.

Maybe it's possible if they are getting results with those released birds. That would be exciting for Ky.

I love running into pen raised birds that have been out a while though. They get a little wilder and work well for getting a dog ready for wild birds. They've found a good hiding spot and teach a dog to look where wild birds live. A pheasant that's been out a week or so requires a pretty smart wild bird dog. They'll run off and fly away much like a grouse with pressure. I'm not saying it's as tough but it's a good training tool and much better than throwing down a few quail.

3. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Selenium is the mineral missing from Kentucky soil that the pheasant needs

4. Dubya Gee

Dubya Gee 8 pointer

Apr 10, 2012
    Snow, KY
    ^^ Well done Bill! Lol!

5. woodhippy

woodhippy 6 pointer

Nov 11, 2003
    Marion County
    Theres a guy in Loretto that sells thems.

6. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Years ago they use to release them on Robertson Co Hunting Preserve. Use to get one or two a year. Hated to see that close. Really miss them. Use to get one or two a year deer hunting. Only time we would see them. Reckon the cover was to thick during the summer.

7. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    You need to post up some links as proof:highly_amused:

8. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Pretty cool. Beautiful bird!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. paint brush

paint brush Spike

Jan 9, 2012
  10. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

There is a guy here at work that went on that hunt at the Newcomb farm. If I remember correctly, they released 220 birds and killed 188. So don't be surprised if you end up seeing more. Fun to look at, but with the amount of predators that are flying around, he won't last long.
    We went to Kansas a couple of years ago. Our beagles ran them like rabbits. It was pretty neat to follow behind them and when the pressure really got on, the pheasant would come up. We killed a bunch like that.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  11. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I went out yesterday looking for another one but the only thing we jumped was a cat....lost my dogs for an hour. time to start putting those cage traps back out as that makes 3 different kitties I have seen. I'm sure they will take a pheasant just as easy as a rabbit if they can

12. quackrstackr

quackrstackr Welcome to Fantasy Island Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    The Island
    We've got a guy around here that raises a bunch of them every year and puts them out for hunts in the winter. I saw one of them a few years ago that was about 4 miles from his place. Saw it three days in a row walking up and down the middle of the highway. It was a greasy spot with a plume of tail feathers on day 4.

13. Gun7alk

Gun7alk 6 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    Friend of mine was cutting hay out on a farm and said he had seen one in the fence row so I went to check it out. Was a hen and she was sitting on 10 or 12 eggs.

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I heard they've been dropping them from helicopters at night to compete with the turkeys.

15. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Just wondering......would anyone have believed me if I didn't have video of it? It almost seems on par with a mountain lion.