I just saw a pheasant on my farm

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by KYBH4Life, Feb 7, 2014.

1. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. GSP

GSP 14 Pointer Staff Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Montrose
    You should have gone ahead and shot it. You may as well eat it as a hawk/yote. It ain't gonna make it anyway

3. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    That's pretty negative thinking. Ranks up there with "I may as well go ahead and shoot this 100" buck b/c if I don't someone else will".

4. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    It is a tame released bird. What he means is that it won't reproduce, probably won't make it through a couple of cold nights. Someone close to you picked up some farm birds and released them to shoot, that one must have gotten away from them. It more than likely won't see March.

5. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    So there is absolutely no chance it was a wild bird then?

So..pheasants in KY rank right up there with mt. lions in KY. Interesting. I just assumed it was wild

Can you shoot them legally? My son immediately wanted to eat it

6. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    No wild pheasants in KY. Minerals that are lacking in our soil keep them from being able to reproduce. It is most definitely a released bird and, to the best of my knowledge, legal to shoot at any time.

7. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    I just got a text from a friend of mine telling me the Newcomb Farm had a pheasant hunt a few weeks ago and it must have survived. I'm only about 5 miles away as the crow flies so I guess that explains it

8. pentail

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    I am surprised it has made it that long.

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    They dont survive around here. A lot of people have released some and a few hunting reserves have paid hunts. Something about the soil I have always heard.

10. KYBH4Life

KYBH4Life Banned

Feb 13, 2011
    Anyone watch the video? First time I ever posted a video. Dang pretty bird. He probably would look better plucked and browned on a plate though. And I have always wanted to try it!!!

Next time I take my dogs out, the gun is going with me for sure!

11. brettfrancis1

brettfrancis1 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2006
    Danville, KY
    Pheasant can travel pretty far. It won't reproduce. I would expect Mt. lions to reproduce before pheasant. It is an exotic species so go ahead and take him. I find some that hang around longer than others. If they are smart enough to find some cover and food they stick around longer. I flushed one about a week ago that had been out a while. It was under some nice cover that held quail all summer. The mineral issue causes the pheasant eggs to be soft.

12. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  13. dipits

dipits 8 pointer

Dec 20, 2003
    Ky..
    Lot of people have tried to start pheasant in KY, including KYDFW . brettfrancis1 is correct that the eggs will not hatch in the wild. There are a
    lot hatched in pens . Two Toms in Marion county raises thousands every year to sell . Tom sells to KDFW for there draw hunts.
    I have seen several that get out of his pens in the past on land I used to hunt and they ate good.

14. samjoe

samjoe 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2004
    fisherville ky
    Yeah I have shot some pen birds and was impressed how they tasted.

15. Jhartley91

Jhartley91 6 pointer

Jan 20, 2014
    We introduced some to the farm in Owenton KY. The following year we stopped seeing them and started seeing feral cats...