I just dont get it.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Austin Streicher, Oct 5, 2014.

1. kyarcher

kyarcher Cyber-Hunter

Dec 12, 2001
    Garrard County, Ky
    Yep..........

2. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    What you're going through is normal for new bow hunters and even seasoned hunters. One thing I would do for sure is get a couple of doe kills under your belt. Getting use to shooting at a deer with a bow and the deer is so close is different than shooting one 100 yards away. Killing a doe or two will help you see what to expect, good training for when a buck comes walking by. Good luck and hang in there.

3. bhayes420

bhayes420 Fawn

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm 50 years old. This year is my 40th in the woods. If I EVER lose that feeling you describe it will be time to hang the gun on the wall! There is nothing automatic about archery hunting. Just keep doing everything as you described. After all, it's called "hunting," not shooting!

4. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Great advice. I tell guys that are new to archery the same thing. I was just telling a boy that this weekend that he should shot a doe or two to calm him down that way it might calm him down a little when a buck gives him a chance. Keep your chin up. You will get that buck one day and you will be proud of all the hard work you done.

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    The key is that you learn from your mistake. It seams you are rushing the shot consistently. Keep that in mind. When that deer steps out take a deep breath and slow yourself down a bit. Everyone has made bad shots and mistakes just try your best to learn from them.

6. farmertom

farmertom 8 pointer

Jan 21, 2011
    I used to be envious of the Ice water guys to until I realized that rush is what makes most of us keep hunting! My dad is one the Ice guys with a gun, in fact his hunting buddies use to call him the Ice Man, they said when he shot you knew you had a deer to help drag out. I personally know of a couple of deer he has killed out at the 300-400 yard range, one while it was running, but I think because of that is why he doesn't hunt anymore, just doesn't excite him.

I just really like the second part of the quote there slyfly76

7. Fat Rax

Fat Rax 6 pointer

I still get that rush whenever I see any deer within range. I've let plenty of deer walk because of it too. When my site is all over the place, I won't take the shot. Last year I had a nice doe at 80 yards in an open field with my rifle. It was early morning with a good chill. Don't know if it was the rush, the cold or too much coffee. just couldn't set the site in. LOL

8. crossfire

crossfire 8 pointer

Jun 13, 2006
    Mayfield, Ky
    If I quickly identify him as a shooter, I never look at his rack again........until he is on the ground. When I was younger, I would also find objects with my scope to refine my focus, and with a bow I would draw on every doe that came by settling the ping right behind the shoulder, then look for that individual hair; aim small, miss small. I would the same on a squirrel's head to refine even further.

9. allxs

allxs 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2005
    Yep, if you still get tore up, savor it.

10. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Yesterday was my first time out this season and I saw quite a few but got no shots. I got excited and nervous on all of them. No better feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. slimshad

slimshad 8 pointer

Oct 29, 2008
    USA
    Squeeeeeeeze the trigger and dont "look" to see where you hit. Thats what I was doing when I started out. Oh and if you think you got buck fever when he came in, wait til he leaves with your arrow in his lungs. My adrenelin gets so high I can't even stand up. I usually sit and hold on to something. Then I feel like my back is giving out. I can't wait for that feeling this year. Come on November!!

12. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    I wack a few does during early season to help me and shoot 3D with everyone watching. The nerves can cause you to miss and we all have, but if you can find control and make yourself comedown it will help. I take deep breaths and try to relax, but most of the time it happens so fast and the moment is over. Just hoping I had a good shot. Once is see a shooter, I focus on the shot and not the rack.

13. Austin Streicher

Austin Streicher 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    I tell you what you all have been nothing but helpful and I really appreciate it! Keith, Idk if I could handle the Grindstone deer, heard there are some 5 legged doe and 3 eyed bucks. :p

14. keith meador

keith meador Got the Spotted Fever

I'm not going to let you shoot my Grindstoners. I'm going to teach you how to shoot your bow, so you can kill deer on your place. Grindstone ain't for the faint of heart. The pace of life at Grindstone just about did trust me in. I'm not sure he's recovered from it.

15. Austin Streicher

Austin Streicher 6 pointer

Oct 5, 2010
    Fisherville
    Well then consider me in! Can never learn enough!