I Hate Kentucky One Buck Rule

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by useyourbow, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    We all thought life was good when Baker came out with their stands. Spent many, many hours in one, they would take you for a ride if you didn't watch what you did. We modified ours to make them a little better but still had to be careful. We sure have it good today.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Never saw a plastic tag but I wasn't deer hunting in 1976 .

I didn't start until 1978... which to the best of my memory was the metal tag that had the round- ball looking end. Then a little later they went to the metal tags that had the flat end ... then they went to the sticker type tags.

Which just thinking out loud by I've got an uncle whose killed a dandy buck at LBL and has it mounted from 1974 . Pretty sure ....like 99.9% it has a metal tag on it right now.

Just never saw the plastic statewide tags since I've deer hunted. Which I'm not doubting you at all but you sure they weren't crop tags... which seems I remember them being like a plastic zip tie in the late 80's??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    Yep, I have tags from 1973 and 74 that are metal. The plastic was used in 1976.

4. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    I passed a good 10 after I killed early season. Was tough. Then found him dead rabbit Hunt king shot from road. Go fiqure I did my part. Sad

5. Whitetailfreak9221

Whitetailfreak9221 Fawn

Nov 5, 2014
    If you hate the one buck rule start putting in for other hunts

6. beards-n-bone

beards-n-bone 10 pointer

Nov 12, 2008
    Pulaski Co.
    I love the one buck rule until I kill a buck early season......then I hate it.

7. bow_hunter_42452

bow_hunter_42452 6 pointer

Jun 3, 2012
    Just FYI I still hate the Kentucky one buck rule.

8. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

You and a lot of bowhunters that tag out early. I think it is one of the best things since sliced bread. I hear the same argument every year about taking firearms out of the rut period. Being that period can last 3 months or more in some areas that just wouldn't fly. Just a bit off topic but would you be willing to give up antlered deer hunting period for the 3 month rut time frame, gun, bow, muzzleloader ?

9. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    If they just did away with archery all together it would solve 90 percent of the stupid post and whinning along with high price leaseing problem and put the fun back in deer hunting.

10. littletom

littletom 8 pointer

Feb 24, 2008
    Knob Lick, Ky
    There is this thing they call peak rut. Get out in the woods you will see it. It does not last 3 months. Usually sometime first of nov. in ky. What you are preaching all over this board makes no sense!

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    While the peak... time period most does come in heat ... is November. A doe not bred will come back in heat in 28 days.. If she's still not bred then she can come back in ... again in 28 days.

So in a nutshell ... in areas where there is high doe populations such as some zone 1 locations it's not uncommon to see visible rut activity late October.... November, December & January. I even witnessed a buck chasing a doe on our place once in mid Febuary.... which is the latest I ever saw.

Which you only really have one "peak" period..... but the rut can and does last for several months. This is what Duster was eluding to .... and makes sense to me.

12. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
  13. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Don't disagree but the EHD outbreak back a few years ago pretty much balanced the books. Took us a few years to really rebound and went a couple seasons without harvesting any does.

Which we've took a few does the past two years but we're still a bit reserved. Just basing it on what we're seeing ... not just because you can. Which before EHD got a lot of deer... we had too many.

I hope maybe we can keep a handle on it and not get back like we were. Our buck sightings have definitely increased with a better ratio.

14. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    You can increase the population while still keeping the herd in balance. A few years without shooting does can get you way out of balance in a hurry. Especially if you are still harvesting bucks.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I've got hunting leases on two sides and full blown outfitters running clients on the remainder of property adjoining us. Basically that's the case in any direction for miles. They kill a lot of does every season ... and I'm emphasizing the lot portion. Which I'm not complaining because most have become a lot more selective concerning bucks and as of now their helping keep things in check.

As of now we're nowhere close to populations we had basing this on sightings. But your right we're going to have to not be overly reserved in the future to keep things close to what we have now.