I Hate Kentucky One Buck Rule

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by useyourbow, Nov 25, 2013.

1. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Same here, my favorite day of the year was doe day. It was the one day I felt I might actually kill something, and still often didnt

2. OUTBACK

OUTBACK 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    W. KY
    Man you guys have some memories right there. I think I have my tag from my first deer, but not any of the others. I'll have to try and dig em out.

3. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I would compare deer hunting in the 70-80 like hunting for bigfoot today. My first bow was a Indian bow then a Bear bow the whitetail 2 was high tech. Lock on stands and army jackets for camo.

4. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My first bow was an Indian Stalker..I still have it.

5. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Bear Blacktail for me

6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

My first bow I can't remember the brand but it was a recurve and came from a Western Auto store, even had three arrows with broadheads in the package. First serious bow was a Bear Alaskan compound first one the dealer sold. You had to prove you could take it apart and put it back together before he would sell it to you.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    My first compound was the Indain stalker..My first bow was a fred bear recurve..The old yellowish one..

8. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    My first compound hunting bow was a Bear Blacktail Hunter..... bought it new for like $65.Then a few years later bought a used Polar Ltd. Figured 2 wheels were good .... 6 wheels had to be better ...lol.

Which I still have the Blacktail Hunter ... never did part with it. But I sure wished I would have been smart enough to have kept the Polar Ltd... be a nice conversation piece to have hanging in the den.

Which sorta funny y'all started talking about your bows because in the box where I kept those tags... also had the owners manual to my Bear Blacktail Hunter.

So I'll add a few more "retro" pics to remind us we ain't exactly young pups anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

My first bow was a Bear Whitetail. Never killed anything with it but, I was in the woods way more hours than just huntng with a gun.

10. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    As I remember, until the mid-70's an antlered deer had to have at least one forked antler, in 79 when I started hunting deer it was 4" of antler to be considered antlered. It remained 4" until 2000 or thereabouts when Gassett the deer biologist changed it to "polished bone" which technically allowed velvet antlered deer to be considered antleress. It was changed the next year to "visible antler above the hairline excluding button bucks" which is the reg now defining an antlered deer.

11. ancienthunter

ancienthunter 8 pointer

Dec 25, 2011
    Over the Hill
    That was my first bow too still have it. I like the part where it says it has good cable clearance with no cable guard mine has the cables worn half into from contact from my vanes, didn't know any better until I visited a bow shop, my shooting improved a lot when I bought a new bow.

12. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    My first bow was a old proline bow. Looked alot like the one posted above. Man the industry has sure changed alot of the years. An as far as the one buck rule I really like it. Yea sure I would love to take a couple of bucks every year but it keeps our herd healthy and we grow bigger bucks because of it.

13. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    That's not totally correct. They used a plastic tag that was made like the metal tags for a while. I got one from 1976, I can't remember how long they used the plastic before going to the paper tags.

14. Blevins Gap Outdoors

Blevins Gap Outdoors 12 pointer

Nov 9, 2002
    Louisville, KY
    I started bow hunting in 1968 with a recurve bow and cedar arrows tipped with Bear razor heads. Still have the bow and even a few of the broad heads. Things have changed a little since then. There were no tree stands that I know of, we stood on a limb of a tree. Back then, KDFW estimated there were 120,000 deer in the state. It took me five years to kill my first deer.

15. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    Not sure a limb wasnt safer than my first Baker stand,and it was definitely safer than the Fox Squirrel stand i had in the early 80's. Looking back i seriously dont know how i didnt get killed in that thing