I Hate Kentucky One Buck Rule

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by useyourbow, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

IIRC...back then you bought 1 tag once you took a deer you checked it in at a check station and then and only then could you buy a second tag.

2. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Yep.

Even go one better in this discussion and show the tags.

In the pic below ... The one on left (yellow) is a 1986 First Deer Permit and the one on the right (white) is a 1986 Second Deer Permit. You couldn't buy the second until you filled the first. Also take note of the metal tag still attached to the second tag.... that second buck was very hard to come by back then.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Also.... while I'm going through my collection of tags.... 1987 was the last year of metal tags. In 1988 we went to the sticker type tag. Which I'm not sure that 1988 wasn't the year we went to the one buck rule... not sure . I was thinking it was around 1990 but looking at the tags makes me second guess that.

Top tag 1987.... bottom tag 1988.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  4. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    I had a CO check my deer in for me in the back of my truck once(saved me a trip to check station) As he got my info I noticed his partner gently tug on my metal tag to ensure I had locked it in place. Way before tekechek people skipped the check station and cheated on metal tags, or so I've been told :)

5. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Seeing those old tags made me think of a lot of old memories about hunting back them. I remember those old metal tags also. Wish I would have kept stuff like that. We are showing out age on that stuff. Seems like just yesterday but that was 30 yrs ago. Lots of hours in the woods since then.

6. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I'm pretty sure it was 1990 or 91 for the last year of 2 bucks.

7. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Kind of off topic but not. Anyone remember the year or years that bucks had to have at least one split antler ? 3 point or better. I am thinking late 60's.

8. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    No but I remember when an antler less than 4"(I think) was legally an antlerless deer. We need CSS to jump back in here and help us out I couldn't even find the change on google

9. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    I still have half a rack in my shop that has a metal band on it..Anyone remember that ?????

10. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The early metal tags up until about 1985 had a round ball on the end where it fastened. From 1986-1987 ... they were flat on the end at the fastener / lock. In 1988 they went to the paper/ sticker tags. I've got a couple of unused round ball tags here somewhere but I haven't located them yet. Which I know I have some attached to some racks in the garage.

This is 86 & 87 tags.... flat locking end.

[​IMG]

The paper / sticker type tags they went to in 1988.

[​IMG]

11. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Guess since I'm conjuring up memories ... Y'all remember these. Which I guess the 90's were my brown it's down years.. but they sure we're fun.

[​IMG]

This was my permit used on my first buck killed in state... outside LBL. It was an 8 point I took in Calloway County on the east side near Whiskey Ridge.... November 5, 1983. Remember it like it was yesterday.

[​IMG]

This was the tags on my second buck I ever killed at LBL....1984. My first was in 1979 but I don't have the tag or check card for it... really don't know what happened to it.

[​IMG]

Last... in the box I keep this stuff in .. had a 1988 turkey tag. Really don't know what possessed me to hang on to a bunch of this stuff but I'm glad I did now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  12. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    those metal tags were tough to eat.

13. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I thought it was 3 inches but probably wrong. I do remember a bow season kill that fell under that and was surprised when they said antlerless. The one I killed had about 2 inch spikes, heck I couldn't even see them at 30 yards with his head down eating something.

14. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    May have been 3 I could just as easily be wrong. I have a walking violation on trailcam right now. Probably less than an inch of antler but clearly through the skin, even on my trailcam he has to be turned just right to see em.

15. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    I don't know if I could have really said that back then. Just wasn't that many deer and my expectations weren't too high.

Which I was just a teenager in the late 70's & early 80's. Me and a friend of mine got into shooting bows one summer and honestly started bowhunting deer a couple years before I ever gun hunted deer. Neither one of us had family that deer hunted so it was a lot of trial an error on our part. I remember a few seasons that came and went we never saw a single deer hunting in the county.

You just sorta knew going into a season that you probably would have that tag at the end.... really no disappointment involved. You stayed pretty well humbled concerning deer season and it kicking your butt.

Nothing to comparing it to the present where we pass on bucks or any deer for that matter basically every time we get in a stand. We've definitely come a long way that there's a lot of the generation hunting now that would look at you like you got 4 heads if you told them you never saw a deer during an entire season back then. They just can't relate to that experience.