I Hate Kentucky One Buck Rule

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by useyourbow, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    What the heZZ was this thread about?

2. Tilster

Tilster Spike

Feb 12, 2012
    Wonder how many times this thread has gotten of topic since it started. I'm not gonna take the time to read back through em though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    Landowner should get an extra buck tag.

-Lights fuse walks away.

4. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'

How fair is it to the guy in the cubicle who works, pays taxes and that money goes to pay for the land owners CRP payments who gets to enjoy the land 365 days a year but you want to cheat him out of a deer he supported by paying you NOT TO FARM.......

Think about that for just a minute or two.

Agriculture is important but it is also hugely subsidized by tax payers. You might say "Don't bite the hand that feeds you" and a taxpayer has a pretty strong case to give a farmer the same reply in return...

5. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    You could also argue that crp is designed to restore rare and declining habitat and/or prevent soil erosion and protect marginal areas from being farmed. Do you want to see what happens to the water fowl populations when the prairie pot hole region loses all it's crp. It's not paying someone not to farm it's protecting what little habitat we have left. And other than certain areas farmers can make a whole lot more farming it than they can in crp.

6. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    We could let the subsidies go on agriculture and let them free trade and sell where they want. Food prices would skyrocket and there wouldn't be an inch of farmable ground left for wildlife.

7. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I'm well aware of that but those who want to prosper from subsidies should have a little respect for those who subsidize as well.

The days of the "poor farmer" have changed.

It still involves hard work but the financial risk has been eliminated to a greater extent than many other vocations.

8. bigpuddin43

bigpuddin43 12 pointer

Feb 21, 2007
    bucktown
    I agree with that but there is still risk involved. Knowing when and how much to grow or when to purchase new equipment. The environmental risk factors have for the most part been eliminated. However most of the business decision risks have not so I would say it is more on par with the rest of the business world. Keep in mind if a farmer sells December corn in June before a drought hits and can't deliver he has to pay market price for the bushels he can't deliver. I agree that a lot of the risk has been eliminated but acting like there is no risk isn't correct either.

9. Wampuscat

Wampuscat 10 pointer

Apr 10, 2009
    Louisville
    I think you know very little about the subject. Anytime I know very little about a subject I refrain from trying to impose my 'beleifs' onto others. Another example of this gone wrong is the folks who think that officer Wilson is a murderer.

Do you feel entitled to hunt on someone's farm if they put a environmentally sensitive piece of that farm in the crp program?

10. 82ndshawn

82ndshawn Fawn

Sep 7, 2012
    I agree completely and there are actually several states that do just that!

11. 82ndshawn

82ndshawn Fawn

Sep 7, 2012
    Look on your countys payouts for different agriculture programs, it is public info. In most cases I think you will be suprised to see the majority of farmers/cattle owners, etc... either dont use the government programs (CRP, Cost Share, Etc..).

12. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    So we've been wrong all along, they really are "his" deer ?

13. NonTyp

NonTyp 12 pointer

Apr 9, 2006
    Horntown
    Yes they do. Only 6000 NR tags for the entire state with 35% of those being the maximum amount that can be awarded to archery hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. HUNTZVT

HUNTZVT 12 pointer

From what I've noticed from my wife's farming family, the decision to buy new equipment is quite simple. When they have a big year, they buy a bunch of new equipment including new "farm trucks" for their kids which they use as a tax write off. When they have a bad year, uncle sam just gives them more money to offset it. They've taken close to 3/4 a million dollars over the past 10 years.

15. Buford

Buford 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Zone 1 bachelor heaven
    Ouch. Might want to have a backup plan for Thursday Dinner.