I find this strange how about you

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Duster, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

How come when the state or county builds something it's always in the million's but a private individual can build a building the same size for a heck of a lot less. A new fire station near me up north cost 3.5 million to build but a same size sq foot home was 250K. They were less than 200 yards apart so it can't be location..

2. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    Yeah, I mean, a new MRAP costs like half a million dollars! You can get a fully loaded jeep for less than 1/10th of that! :p They are both off-road vehicles, what's up with that? ;) Damn government.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    I just have to ask, which $250,000 residential home have you seen that you honestly thought you could park multiple 65,000 pound 32' foot long vehicles and all its supporting equipment inside of it?

4. mrdux

mrdux Guest

Get this: our county decided to build a new health dept building. Cost was around 4 million. Political pull got an architect from the county hired who obviously didn't know crap about ADA (disability) laws or didn't care. The low bid contractor built the building EXACTLY the way it was drawn up even though that contractor had dealt with ADA rules for years. They got it built and realized one of the dept employees was in a wheelchair with zero access to his 2nd floor office. All of a sudden everybody was wringing their hands and pointing fingers. Seems one of the big shoots on the board had let the architect get away without buying liability insurance on his work so all of a sudden our county is on the hook for a couple more million to essentially tear about 1/2 the building down ( brick exterior) to fix all the screw ups. Since families of county leaders and arse-kisser buddies were all involved, the contractor and architect walked away scott-free. I would love to see all their heads stuck on poles outside our just opened health dept building, two years behind schedule.

5. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    You should read up on the electrical shenanigans with Paducah. The way I understand it, awhile back they decided to buy their own power plant in Illinois for a ridiculous amount of money, except now that we're implementing it, it's only putting out like 60% of what they thought it would, and the city is on the hook to pay for it for like the next 30 years. This cost is being passed down to customers who are supposedly paying over twice what they ought to be.

http://www.wtvq.com/story/d/story/paducah-power-gm-resigns/37102/viTzwtYrH02ZvTTCep8EGg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  6. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

I would say the concrete would have to be strong but otherwise it is just a building with a small kitchen. Pole barn style building even with 3 bays for trucks.

7. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Cities have to pay wages, taxes, insurance, etc., etc., etc. While I certainly don't condone wasteful spending, their expenses will ALWAYS be more than yours...

8. trust me

trust me Troubled Loner

Nov 27, 2004
    Jerkwater, KY
    The government rapes us, we rape the government. Old as time itself.

9. FranciscoJ

FranciscoJ 6 pointer

Feb 19, 2010
    Fact is it's a lot easier to complain or voice your concerns, than it is to change that concern into action. It's not to say one's concerns aren't valid, quite the opposite. However, simply telling somebody else that something is wrong won't change things for the better...

10. EKYridgerunner

EKYridgerunner 10 pointer

Sep 13, 2010

11. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    I can understand the OPs concern. Several years back we had a firehouse built just outside the city limits but still in a subdivision. A million bucks for a corner lot in an FHA subdivion and a 3 bay metal building with an apartment over it.

12. Bray

Bray 10 pointer

Jan 29, 2002
    The Interwebs
    If it was purchased with funding or financing from the State or Federal Government chances are it has to meet their specifications. That requires engineering firms (huge costs), external review (more costs), commercial materials, etc. It's nothing like building a house. The engineering costs are staggering for even the most basic project.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    It probably goes a little beyond that. Here's a cost analysis of one that only costs 1.3 million... just the concrete and work to put it in alone costs more than the entire house you quoted.

http://www.dcd.com/pdf_files/1305analysis.pdf

I'd also be surprised if we're talking about the same size building. The one above is 8,700 square feet. The one you are talking about cost almost 3 times as much. I seriously doubt we're talking about something that is the size of a $250,000 house.

14. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    I agree with Duster on this, been in our local fire dept. Just a pole building with a kitchen bathroom area. Dont care how thick the concrete is, you can throw up a good sized pole building for $250,000, more than enough to hold a fire dept. Just waste.

15. RackedUP

RackedUP 8 pointer

Oct 30, 2013
    I own a concrete construction company and have bid more than a few firehouses. I can tell you that the concrete cost is astronomical. The last on i bid called for a 10' wide by 40' long by 8' deep pier with an extremely complicated structual reinforcement plan. Theres always more cost eating things than what canbe seen. From my experience the steel and concrete construction on a building that size would far exceed the $250k mark.