I didn't see any KY bear hunting reports on here

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by mike007, Nov 3, 2019.

1. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

These “vague” regulations are keeping honest hunters, and in some cases, their children from enjoying hunting due to fear of being prosecuted for an undefined regulation.

JR in KY and EdLongshanks like this.
  2. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    Especially if it was a larger critter the skull would be my trophy,...I really wouldn't want green jeans jerking out the ivory....for certain a canine.

3. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt Spike

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    Remember this word: "INTENT"

It's that simple. If you know you are breaking the law; you are. You intentionally, and knowingly broke the law. If you know there is anything considered bait, whether put there by you intentionally, or you are intentionally hunting with the benefit of "bait" placed by someone else; it is illegal.

If you have no knowledge of baiting by anyone; then you aren't intentionally hunting with the benefit of "bait".

It is that simple.

I have feeders on my place, therefore I won't hunt turkey, bear, or anything else that's illegal to bait on my place.
    If my neighbor knows I'm dumping corn and shoots a bear on it's way to it, he broke the law. If he doesn't know I'm dumping corn, he's not breaking the law.

4. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY

There lies the problem with bear hunting in KY......

Everyone knows of a garbage bin within a few miles of the area they hunt, therefore they “KNOW” bait exists within a bears territory.

If they “know” bait in the form of a garbage bin exists, how is it legal to hunt?

There is over 5000 sanitation/garbage bills that go out each month in Letcher County alone, that’s a lot of bait stations......

Dark Cloud likes this.
  5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Good luck with that “I didn’t know it was there” defense counselor :rolleyes: Ignorance of the law is no defense matlock.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  6. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Well I would be more than willing to kill one if I knew where he was at. Anybody needs one gone I'd be glad to help them out. Then can report back exactly what they put you thru!

7. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt Spike

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    @BigPete - Perhaps hunting in the woods rather than hunting in your yard???

@EdLongshanks - I know the law Monk. I'm not the least concerned about it.

A couple of voices on a forum shouldn't deter others from bear hunting. Whine about how the law is written and whine about the response you get from the department when you ask questions. I've asked many questions of them and got nothing but solid answers.

Get over it already....

8. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    My yard is 0.73 acres.

My hunting lease is 1000+-.

Both are surrounded by garbage bins that I “KNOW” without a doubt have been hit by bear multiple times. It’s almost certain that every bear I see crossing my lease is either coming from or going to a food source, aka Garbage Bin, Theodore it’s not legal for me to hunt there. I also won’t lie to a CO and say I didn’t “KNOW” about the garbage bins surrounding my lease just to harvest a bear.

Since the regulation on bear baiting was written to be “intentionally vague” it’s up to KDFW to make a judgement call as to whether to cite a hunter or not.

I’m my eyes it’s no different than a speed limit sign saying:

Speed Limit
    45-65 MPH

Then you get pulled over and given a speeding ticket when you were doing 60MPH. You argue that the sign says 65 MPH but the police officer says it say 45 MPH. That would leave it in the hands of a officer to decide legality.

Intentionally Vague Laws Are Not Good........

Dark Cloud likes this.
  9. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    I'm not saying they wouldn't get you on a technicality if they could,..but if I didn't set it out I don't feel like it's bait. There may be garbage bins there,...but a 1000 acres?? I would be good setting up somewhere far enough away that I felt OK with it and go with it if I wanted. If I'm 5 or 6 football fields away from something I consider that not my fault

10. BigPete

BigPete 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2007
    Whitesburg, KY
    You would think so, but the email I have from a bear biologist differs.

11. aaronc

aaronc 10 pointer

Jul 21, 2009
    Leitchfield
    ,...yeah I saw it on other thread.

12. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    If I shot one as many coyotes as we have now there's no doubt they would have the stomach eaten by the time I found it...

hotdog, dirtstalker and barney like this.