I.D. Required to Purchase .22 Rimfire OR any Handgun Ammo

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by davers, Dec 1, 2017.

1. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Well, I had to do some shopping this morning at our local Walmart. I walked over to the Sporting Goods section and saw they had boxes of .22 LR ammunition (Federal Brand). So I had the Clerk there grab a box for me, but when I checked out at that counter, he asked me for my "Date-Of-Birth". I was curious of this so I asked him if that is a new policy or a federal law now. He said he didn't know but thinks it is a Federal Law requiring verification of age, just started not long ago.

2. Marsh CallUser

Marsh CallUser 12 pointer

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    You have yo be a certain age to buy ammo. Walmart has a policy to ID people to make sure they are of age.

3. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    I am aware of this age requirement, but this is the very first time I was asked for my Date-Of-Birth. I am 68 years old!

4. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY

Must have a big baby face! Lol

rabbit dawg likes this.
  5. Wildcat

Wildcat 12 pointer

Jan 7, 2002
    Ledbetter, Ky.
    Get asked all the time and I'm 65. It's part of their job. Heck, I was buying some of those pocket poppers that you throw on the ground for my grand niece back around the 4th and they asked me my DOB.

6. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    The age requirement has been around a long time..... but what's changed of late is most businesses have it as an item coded at the register where they must ask and enter the birthdate to make the transaction. So basically its a question built into their software programs concerning inventory & sales.

Most quick marts are the same way concerning tobacco sales..... they have to ask the person their birth date to enter before the register allows them to proceed with the sale.

7. Coot_Meurer

Coot_Meurer 10 pointer

Nov 4, 2006
    Not here anymore
    At least it is somewhat logical. If you remember back in the 70s and 80s you got asked for age and what gun it was for. If you were buying .22 LR for a pistol you had to be 21, but only 18 if you were buying it for a rifle. Fortunately Reagan signed the law that changed a bit of the Gun Control Act of 68 and did away with the nonsensical BS

8. Marsh CallUser

May 20, 2011
    Bowling Green, KY
    Heck, I'm thrilled when they ask for my ID.

barney likes this.
  9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    I love getting carded at my age!

Feedman likes this.
  10. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    That's what the Clerk said. Our Walmart just started this, month ago I purchased some shotgun shells .410-3" and they didn't ask for my age. Just have to live with it I guess.

11. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Were you actually carded, or just asked for your birthdate?

I've seen it come up for a long time asking for birthdate, or at least if the buyer was over a certain age. Most times the cashier just said "yes" or put in a birthdate like "1-1-70" automatically.

12. davers

davers 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2014
    Kentucky
    Just my Birthdate.

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony 12 pointer

Dicks Sporting Goods has this in place as well. They just type in the DOB from the ID.

14. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    I used to get pissed and even anxious if I was ever carded for something (because I was underaged). Now, if it happens, I bless them profusely.

15. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Especially when the person that is asking is younger than the wallet your ID is in.

bondhu, EC and drakeshooter like this.