I’ve got a food challenge!!

Discussion in 'Food Preparation, Camp Cooking and Recipes' started by beauhunter41031, Aug 20, 2019.

1. beauhunter41031

beauhunter41031 10 pointer

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    Every week i go to the grocery store and plan different meal ideas and lunch options for the upcoming week. Spending decent money on groceries. After returning home from the grocery Sunday I got elected to put the groceries away (which I try to avoid), I was shocked because there was no room for anything. Here I am jamming things in sideways and upside down and it really hit me, I’ve got enough food already to feed a damn small army and why am I buying new stuff. I don’t know if I’m the only one and y’all think I’m crazy but I told the best girl we are having a challenge besides the necessities we will no longer purchase any food. purge the freezer and pantry and get creative as we possibly can to make meals. I absolutely hate wasting food and feel this Needs to be done

I’ll try and post my nightly dinners and share the different Melting pot recipes

Not to be sexist but I’d like to ask all you fellas out there who usually rely on their lovely significant other to prepare meals when is the last time you’ve actually took a hard look in any of those two places?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    mallardkiller, MoMan, bondhu and 4 others like this.
  2. web splitter

web splitter 6 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    I've had this problem myself. Occasionally I will challenge the wife, no more groceries for the rest of the month, let's just eat what we have around. Sometimes it works but most often it doesn't as she does the shopping and puts them away. I try not to complain about it much. We split the cooking duties.

MoMan, bondhu, Ataulbe1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I do all the shopping, and all of the cooking. I'm very guilty of running out and buying meat, instead of thawing something ahead of time.

MoMan and beauhunter41031 like this.
  4. jblack1

jblack1 10 pointer

Dec 13, 2005
    Science Hill
    My wife tries to plan every meal for a week at a time,
    sometimes that gets messed up but we will make some kind of meal out of whatever meat is thawed.

MoMan, bondhu and beauhunter41031 like this.
  5. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky
    I moved into the big house this spring, but at the old house (Before she decided to move in full-time) I was always making crockpot meals and way bigger portions than I needed. I would always vacuum seal the leftovers into meal portions and throw them in the fridge. And still continue to do that from time to time. everything just gets pushed to the back and is out of sight. I have not totally excavated the freezer yet to avoid an argument but boy it’s going to be an interesting Next couple of weeks. I’m confident everything is still edible. And just to clarify I am very blessed to have this problem so pls don’t take it the wrong way. Many years ago I learned what it was like to be hungry

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  6. Bubbles

Bubbles 8 pointer

Oct 25, 2016
    My wife would have 8 frozen pizzas in the deep freeze then buy 10 more if on sale. I was running out of room for wild game. After telling her 7-8 times, I promptly freed up some space and threw the overage into the back yard. She retrieved it but that BS stopped right then and there. I have done the same thing with the pantry.

beauhunter41031 likes this.
  7. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    No problem. Just Buy another Freezer.!
    Seriously, About all of us do that, and find stuff in the back of the freezer we don't even Recognize. Guilty too.

8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Love this idea. Said it a few times to my wife but we never do! Food everywhere and still go spend 100 at the grocery. Probably have enough food to survive a couple apocalypses.

9. dirtstalker

dirtstalker 10 pointer

Nov 20, 2009
    Clay County
    Same here at my house. Cant never find nothing to eat though lol. Ive got 2 lil boys..so they eat like pigs.

Thats one reason i despise chest type deep freezers. But the stand up one is becoming the same way. Every couple of months i personally go thru it.

My woman and i both know what its like to not have much and struggle..so we both have a bad habit of saving leftovers and small inadequate amounts of food.
    But..im grateful that we have more food then we need..its no fun being hungry with nothing.

10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    We do this about 3 or 4 times a year where we make it a point to go through the freezer and see what's in there we can use and then try to use it. A lot of times, it's stuff we've bought and then forgotten about.

I used to be really guilty of buying the family packs of things like chicken and pork chops and then freezing the uncooked pieces I wasn't using right away. I've since wised up and have started cooking all the pieces and then vacuum sealing and freezing the leftovers. I also seal them in smaller, usually individual portions. That way, we can thaw out just the portions we need--be it for one or for 4. And it also makes it easier to take them to work for lunch. I can throw it in my lunch box straight from the freezer and then thaw/heat it in the microwave. It's pretty nice to be able to take a grilled pork chop for lunch when it's snowing out.

11. mallardkiller

mallardkiller 8 pointer

Dec 27, 2008
    KY
    This post put me and the wife taking inventory of our 2 freezers...Lets just say i be eaten deer steaks and ground deer for a while...But we made it a quest to not waste 1 pack of food...Thank you Jesus for my cup runneth over...Amen

rcb216, barney, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  12. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Any suggestions on what to do with about 10 cans of sliced carrots?? I'm leaning towards target practice, my wife not so much.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  13. Ataulbe1 likes this.
  14. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

Sounds good.

I haven’t posted anything but I’ve been eating cheaper than a mouse in a cheese factory.

Earlier this week I found some bulk sliced ham that I thawed out and almost every night I’ve been chopping that up with a can of pinto beans (also from the over stocked pantry) and eating like I was single again. My lady has been fending for herself to picking out some of the more desirable frozen meats.

Last weekend I pulled out a older deer roast out, threw that in the crockpot with a pack of aujus power. Eight on that thing for two days pretty darn good with some vegetables I cooked up.

I’m absolutely loving this Challenge, I’m finally getting to eat all the things I impulse buy at the grocery store that just gets stuck away. And I’ve only spent maybe $40 at the grocery store in the last two weeks

bondhu, mallardkiller and Ataulbe1 like this.
  15. beauhunter41031

Jan 1, 2018
    Cynthiana, Ky

If all else fails you could donate some of your bulk canned goods to a food program, I have thought about that and it wouldn’t leave me with that wasted feeling