Hypothetical question

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by Ataulbe1, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Thanks for all the feedback. As usual there's a wealth of knowledge on here.

2. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    My friend suggest a 17 or 22 mag... 22 works great with two Rotts as backbup

3. shaman

shaman 8 pointer

Jul 20, 2004
    Neave, KY, USA.
    The dog control officer over in our neck of the woods swore by 3" 12 GA 2X6 duplex turkey loads for dropping dogs. I've used #4 turkey loads on coyote, and I'll say it wrecked their day, right now!

My son used a 22 LR twice to put down his aging MIL's dogs. He said it worked fine, but these dogs were near death and suffering mightily.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  4. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Euthanizing an animal versus shooting a Pit Bull that’s got tunnel vision and would love to grab ahold of something is altogether different.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  5. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Lady hit my parents’ neighbor’s dog but me and another neighbor only had our .45s. i put the dog in my truck bed and fortunately the owner had a .22 handy. No way in hell was i going to take his dead dog to him with its brains splattered all down its back. .22 or .17 is definitely the right caliber for that task.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    bigbonner likes this.
  6. elkaholic

elkaholic 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2012
    Pendleton County
    Yes it would, but a pit bull I would use at least a 300 win mag for my own safety.

7. kyhunter99

kyhunter99 10 pointer

Dec 21, 2014
    Ky
    If you draw a line like an x from left eye to right ear and right eye to left ear thats going to be your kill shot. 'Between the eyes' doesnt always get you the brain depending on your angle

8. We used 22 short between the eyes to take down 1100 lb bulls for slaughter when I was a kid. It never failed but we slit their throat soon as they were down just to be certain. Same would apply to a PB in my opinion. I you have nothing else it will work but if the dog is aggressive and close and bouncing around, that is a tough shot. My crazy buddy always advocated a gut shot so they would go home and crawl under the owners house to die. That is neither humane or quick though. Sitting still from a safe distance with a rifle and good rest the 22 is fine. Up close and personal, something bigger would be a better choice. Unarmed, you can offer the dog your weak arm to bite and then break his neck with the strong arm. This is an unarmed last resort, you got surprised approach. Plus it provides a alibi also. Helps to wrap the weak arm with padding. Just remember that PB's bite pressure is enough to break bones and you are not getting away without injury in this case.

9. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Did your friend ever take care of the say pit bull size animal yet

10. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 10 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    He never did say... but he appreciated all the advice.

ojibwa62 likes this.
  11. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    sure will, but a 7.62x39, 243 or 270 work better ask me how I know..

12. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    Butcher every spring and fall, hogs and cattle. I remember one time we were going to butcher a bull into mostly burger. Pap penned it up, my uncle used a sawed off 22 bolt rifle, was bout 18" long. He walked up to it popped it tween the eyes. Dropped to the ground, he started walking to the truck to put it away and the bull got up, tore the pen down completely and took off for the big ridge. We snuck into bout 60yds, my uncle moved to a tree to take a shot, bull heard him and took off. 6 hours later and 6 shots with the 06 the bull was down for good. Shoot em in the eye, never an issue.

13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Soooooo....how do you know :eek:?

14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    Well since you asked , I may or may not have some personal experience in the field of feral dog extermination..

15. 00noturkey

00noturkey 8 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    after a stroke or 2, roundabout, i did a lot of research on the brain. not dog brain's, relatively speaking.
    the medulla, is just above the spinal cord, though at the base of the brain. perhaps the connection point. it's center, and behind the ear, as the nose is center, and in front of the ear. the nose is higher in people. there is a weakness in the eye region, not just from the front, but to the temples.
    my crossman .177 bb gun., when i pumped it 20 time's, instead of ten. would shoot a bb, through 1 side of a garbage can, and put a healthy dent in the other side.
    course i were 11-13, an that was in the 60's. an they dont make bb gun's like that, nor metal garbage cans.
    sometimes i would put 20 bb's in the barrel. you could see the shot. the bb, that came out last, was closer to to one in front of it.
    the bb that came out first, was way ahead of the one behind it.
    Newton..