Hypothetical Mountain lion Question

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by JDMiller, Sep 26, 2011.

1. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    Seems for the last year on here.....theres been countless "mountain lion / cougar / black panther" threads..possible pics and plenty of debate. Always a definite division of opinion but everytime I see one posted I keep asking myself what I call the "million dollar question"........

Lets say the KDF&WR's confirms theres a definite wild population of mountain lions in Ky. How does it change things???

Are we going to stop hunting or other outdoor activities.....stay indoors...not let our kids play outdoors... or basically hide from the critters??? or .......Is the issue of the debates / countless links on confirmation in other states on the subject ....strictly a case of.... I Told You So ???

I guess what I'm getting at.....we face a certain amount of unknowns everyday as we go about are daily lives. Getting behind the wheel ....work place safety....to crimes in general. As hunters & fishermen.....we put ourselves even further into the mix. Theres already the known dangers associated in our sport and were already dealing venomous snakes , yotes, wild dogs and for a portion a growing black bear population.

We have concealed & open carry supporting us afield....and ultimately we have the right to protect ourselves and our families....along with we should simply be aware of our surroundings always. I just cant see beyond the obvious I Told You So.....but maybe I'm just missing a piece of the puzzle here.

Again....not trying to post this as a peeing contest between believers or non-believers.....not my intention.... and we dont need countless links..pics ...ect. Just wanting to know in either case if it is really something we fear that bad.

2. dxtsniper

dxtsniper 12 pointer

Nov 7, 2009
    Turn around!
    To be honest with you, even if we had a good population of them it wouldn't change my outdoor activities a bit. The chances are soooo low of being attacked in areas where there are enough to hunt that it's not something I would worry about. Would I be aware and watch for them, yes. But not anymore than I keep an eye out for two legged vermin when I'm in the woods. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that people don't spend as much time in the woods as they used to, when anyone is out of their comfortable element it's going to cause stress and worry.

3. Art

Art 12 pointer

Nov 27, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    First let me say that I am in the camp that believes there is likely a cat or two out there at any given time within our borders. There is a high chance it is a captive cat that has been released. I do not think there is a "population" or a smathering of cats all over the state or we WOULD know they are out there.

That said, I have read a great deal on these cats and they are truly an awesome creature. I for one would like to see them in KY in limited numbers, just as I like to see bears. These cats are totally capable of killing a full grown man and you'd never see it coming. That may scare some, but even if we did have a substantial population here, you'd be much more likely to be killed by your own weapon, a tree stand fall, lightning strike, or heart attack then you would be from a cat.

I would not change my outdoor activities at all. I carry a gun with me at all times as is, but I think humans are what we really need to watch out for, both for our sake and our kids. Would I let my young kids run alone in an area with a known cat population? No, but I wouldn't let them run unattended, out of sight anywhere in this day and age.

4. aceoky

aceoky 12 pointer

Jul 14, 2003
    W KY
    I can't imagine most would change anything , other than perhaps keeping an eye out for them and most times I'd suspect you'd not often see them if they were 10 yards away.

The biggest danger IMO is the fact they likely don't have any fear of man (especially if they're released/escaped pets- who may not be so adapt at living in the wild- a young child sure would be an easy meal IMO) for that matter a grown man or woman wouldn't be a hard target/meal for a big cat...

So while I don't see most changing their habits (e.g. not hunting or fishing) I suspect once folks realize they DO exist in Ky. they will be a bit more aware of their surroundings , just as is the case in "bear country" ; one needs to be aware when they're not the only dominant predator in the woods IMO

5. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    No changes in any outdoor activities.I would be more worried about a bear attack, we have already had one of those.We have been living with bears for several years here and no one seems to mind.I've hunted the northwest where griz, black bear,wolves, and cougers reside. Those people don't worry at all about being in the woods with them.

6. mrdux

mrdux Guest

A KDFW wildlife biologist told me some time ago that he had seen enough evidence to 100% convince him there were cougars that traveled thru KY at times. There was a daylight sighting by 2 LBL biologists in Lyon County several years ago on the farm that my Dad and I were deer hunting at the time. Neither of us saw anything. To me, that would guarantee that they are seen at times but that the VAST majority of supposed sightings are not what they appear to be.

I don't worry about being attacked in the woods. Coyotes or feral dog would seem to be more of a threat and we never hear of them attacking and injuring hunters. I think there are enough meth-cooks and tree stand thieves out there to feed a population of big cats for a long time.

7. Roddy

Roddy 6 pointer

Nov 16, 2009
    Thats the only living thing that really scares me in the woods. I already have had that encounter. As for the sighting in Lyon county. a whole masonary crew watched one walk accross a field beside the house they were bricking durring bright daylight hours in Lyon co. But I'm sure some on here would suggest they had been drinking or saw a bobcat.:rolleyes:

8. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I agree that wolves and black bear (not sure about cougars) are creatures you can pretty much ignore, but I disagree that folks out west are not "worried at all" about grizzlies or brown bears. I've hunted and fished out west on many occasions, and the folks I knew all gave grizzlies their due respect, even where they weren't that prevalent (Colorado and Wyoming). Consideration of a grizzly encounter was always a focus of attention around Yellowstone.

I lived in Alaska for about 6 months and hunted/fished up there on many occasions, and I didn't know anybody - not a soul - that ignored the potential risks a grizzly posed. Even packing bear spray and heavy artillery, there were many salmon streams that nobody fished, because those streams were encased by bush that a grizzly could easily hide in. Even after making a bunch of noise to scare off any resident bears going in, I wasn't about to start fishing a 20 foot wide / 2-4 foot deep tributary when there was even a possibility that a brown bear (possibly sow and cubs) might pop out of the bush 50 yards from me.

9. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Somehow............I knew..............someone..............would find a reason................to kick on my post!:) Let me rephrase for you Buck, they worry but it does'nt STOP them from hunting in any way, form, or fashion.Just as is would'nt stop sportsmen in Ky. if we had all those dangerous animals here also. You just adapt.

As a matter of fact the cougers in northwest Montana run like scared haints at the mere sound of a dog barking.They hunt them with bluetick hounds, tree em, and shoot em.The guides all laughed when I expressed concern over bears.They said they would wind my dogs from 2 miles and head out the other direction. Maybe you were in a area where all the girly men reside Buck?:)

If a man is too scared of what might get him in the woods I say stay on the porch!

Grouseguy posted of concerns of dogs because of the wolves in Wi. That to me is a real concern and one that will have to be taken into account for the dogs safety.

10. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    I'm not sure what you found in my post to get so lathered up about to prompt the "girly men" potshots, but you've obviously never been to Alaska, so you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. If you think you can wander around the Alaskan rivers and bush during the summer months without taking brown bears into account, you are an absolute fool who better have his life insurance policies all lined up.

Of course, bears aren't going to be a threat to folks hunting cougars with a big pack of baying hounds. Who the hell would think they would be in that kind of situation? Anyhow, what kind of pathetic example is that? Montana has only a fraction of the bears that Alaska has. Beside, I bet your guides that you claim "laughed about" your bear concerns during a cougar hunt change their tune and take proper precautions like sealing and hanging their food when they're at elk camp in bear country when the dogs ain't around.

For the life of me, I don't get it? What's with the hyper-sensitivity? My response was about as vanilla as it gets. Just because somebody disagrees with you doesn't mean its a personal attack on you. It's not about YOU. I was just pointing out that brown bears and/or grizzlies do indeed need to be considered.

11. Bullfries

Bullfries 8 pointer

Jan 10, 2008
    my double bull
    The only way I would change my outdoor activities because of a mountain lion population is I may carry a full size .45 with a higher capacity mag than my current gun.

12. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    I wouldn't change my activities, but I probably wouldn't like it. Walking in the woods at night would be spooky if cougars were around.
    Thankfully, we know for a fact they aren't around. We know that just one single, lone cougar traveling across 4 or 5 states leaves evidence in every state, and every county. We don't have the first piece of evidence.

13. grouser68

grouser68 Banned

Jan 29, 2006
    Dang Buck, calm down.I was'nt l;athered up at all but it appears you are at the point of frothing.I'm guessing you did'nt notice the smiley?.I'm also guessing you got lathered without fully reading my post before your rant?Where in my post did it say I was in Alaska? Where in my post did it say I went cougar hunting? Where in my post did it say I used a guide? On all those questions the answer is "nowhere".

On the trips I went to Montana we stayed at a lodge that was also a guide school.The guides told us of the cougar, bear, elk, moose, whitetail, and muledeer hunts.I could give a rats behind as to percentages of populations of animals, I was there to hunt ruffed grouse.In questionomng them about the various animals they had little to no concern, had nothing to do with populations. We saw black bear and griz while there, blacks up close and griz from a distance. The dogs I spoke of were english setters that the bears would get wind of, setters don't bark while hunting just so ya know.I have seen bears while hunting in many states including Ky.My entire post was that we have little to be concerned about in the way of dangerous animals here in Ky. If we had cougars it would'nt add much more danger just a little more precaution.

Buck, you better go to the bathroom and pull that wad of panties out your crack, it's making you mean!:) NOTE-That was a smiley.

14. billproxs

billproxs 12 pointer

Nov 1, 2009
    KENTUCKY LAKE
    Missouri has confirmed 23 Wild MT Lions in the last 15 years, and the hunters there don't seem to care.

As long as I am armed with a weapon I would not care if KY had MT Lions or not, now during Turkey Season things could be different, If KY had a large number of Cougars, Turkey hunters might end up calling them into their decoys, just like coyotes will come in to your decoys.

15. archeratarch

archeratarch Banned

May 15, 2011
    The animal in Ky. that you need to fear the most is the trespasser and methheads that you may have to encounter. Other animals fear the sight of you and will generally head the other way. There are exceptions to that that you need to be aware of. In areas of the west, there is a lot of concern about the griz, and rightly so.