HVAC Work

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by hollandhunter, Oct 1, 2021.

1. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    If not allowed please delete. But I recently started my own heating an cooling buisness. An need all the advertisement I can get to get my name out there. Its called GS Heating and Cooling Service. Located in Scottsville Kentucky. We serve all of south central Kentucky. From industrial to residential. Install an service 24/7 support. Im on every job not just my help. Will give discounts to anyone who mentions this add. I have 20 years of experience. Licensed and Insured. I would love to earn your business. If interest PM me or call the office 2706221120.

Timholt70, Southpaw, mwezell and 11 others like this.
  2. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Have you tried adding your business to some online searches like Angie's list, Craig's list, or Yelp for your area. Do you have a website?

hollandhunter likes this.
  3. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Good luck to you sir!

4. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    No I dont have a website yet. My wife made a Facebook page an we have ran some adds in the local paper etc. But thats about it.

EdLongshanks likes this.
  5. hollandhunter

hollandhunter 12 pointer

Feb 11, 2008
    Holland Kentucky
    Thanks! Its something I have wanted to do for years just never had the guts to jump untill now.

6. Carl

Carl 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2003
    Western Kentucky
    Good Luck.

7. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

First thing many people will do, including me, is to Google HVAC in my area. Do that and see what pops first then try to get your name on it. I think Yelp is probably going to be a top hit.
    Maybe leave some cards at your local Lowe's or hardware store. Good luck.

8. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    That is awesome news and good for you. Track your jobs and diligently keep the books. You will do well and wonder why you didn’t make this move sooner. I bet you are swamped with business before you know it. Referrals are always the best advertisements. Congrats and keep up the hard work.

9. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Its scary for sure. I would also suggest searching out a mentor for the business side of things. It would be nice to avoid some common mistakes by having someone thats been through it give you a heads up on some stuff. Lots of folks that run successful small businesses (non HVAC) would like to help a new entrepreneur out and give advice. Id pic someone who may be a likely future customer so you can pay the favor back with a discounted (or emergency call) job down the road.

10. bluegrassDan

bluegrassDan Spike

Dec 17, 2008
    As a small business owner myself, I can understand. The previous comments are spot on- get listed with Angie's List and at least have a single web page with contact information and a small Bio about your company. That will drive traffic to you faster than anything.

11. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud 12 pointer

Aug 14, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
  12. Mt Pokt

Mt Pokt 8 pointer

Nov 8, 2018
    Campbell County
    My tip, for what it's worth.

It is easier to find work if you have zero reputation than if you have a questionable one.

Advertise very small at first and expand on that based on response. You may find word of mouth and a Facebook page all you need.

What happens is - if you over advertise and end up not being able to get to potential clients, you could pay heavily for it through social media reviews.

Advertising to your capacity and advertising to grow are two very different approaches.

Angie's List is a double edged sword. Despite their claim that contractors don't pay to be on AL, you have to pay to get placement and be found. The negative is that right or wrong, people can say whatever they want about you in a review. If a customer doesn't like your answer or suggestion, they will put it in a review. AL doesn't solicit their members about their experience and social media is an outlet for dissatisfied more than the satisfied.

I would avoid AL unless you are prepared to pay them and deal with those reviews. I've had my company on AL for about 20 years. We have more reviews than any in the industry across the country. They still don't put me on top without paying, so I don't. Whenever they call to try to sell me on their service, my answer is always "you need companies like mine with the volume of reviews like mine to legitimize yours". It's a racket in that sense.

Facebook is probably your best bet. From there, reach out to other mechanical businesses (plumbing and electric). They'll be a huge source for leads and potentially subcontracted business.

Yelp, in my experience is okay, but food is their bread and butter. Houz.com and the likes are good, but lesser known.

You want allies who own the search engines. YouTube videos because Google owns YouTube, you'll do well in organic results since Google would rather put their own product in search results than someone else's.

Lastly, consider Lowe's and Home Depot's sub contracting business. They have a capacity to flood you with work. The only downside is their pay schedule. You may have to wait weeks to get paid for a project. But they pay well! If you don't have a cash flow concern, consider talking to them.

After running my business for 20+ years, I could probably write a book on advertising, but I don't have the time for that...lol

That is my personal experience with all of what I shared. That's the tip of the iceberg.

Lastly... BBB is a thing of the past. Don't let them push you around, and never pay them for accreditation.

Good luck!!!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  13. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I agree wholeheartedly. I would not recommend Angie’s list for exactly the reasons you mention. I would also think that he will not need that advertising any way. I do not advertise my business in any way shape or form. I only work on a referral basis and I have access to more work than I could ever take on. I like to interview my clients as much as I’m sure they are interviewing me when we first meet to discuss projects.

00noturkey, hollandhunter and Mt Pokt like this.
  14. redjackson

redjackson 8 pointer

Dec 4, 2010
    Barren County
    @hollandhunter Congrats! Did the same jump in ‘18(electrician) and have not missed a day of work. You will do fine. I don’t advertise other than word of mouth and stay covered up. Good luck

hollandhunter and EdLongshanks like this.
  15. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Good for you! Met a man years ago that works for Fayette Co schools. Come to find out he does HVAC on the side and he’s licensed. He’s done great work for me at a fraction of the cost of all these big Lexington companies. In return, I’ve sent a lot of business his way. I hope it takes off for ya!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    00noturkey and hollandhunter like this.