Hurricane Ian

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Got a good friend in Wauchula. Last report from her was around midnight last night & there was a big tree on top of their garage & cars, 8 or 9 other trees (big water oaks) down around them, shutters ripped off the house & several windows blown in, chimney ripped off & water pouring in, gutters ripped loose and slamming against the house.... I'm worried for them.

keeruss8

8 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
I watched yesterday on a live stream from YouTube weather guy. It fascinates me how powerful they are. The videos of the surge were pretty crazy. My aunt is in Sebring south of Orlando. She has never left for a storm. She was getting awful worried yesterday. Had a tornado warning and was in her bathroom. Then she went to neighbors for rest of storm. They got cat 2-3 winds last night even in the central part of State

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I mean….I feel terrible for Florida and I pray everyone is safe…..but if you live on the coast, why aren’t you fully prepared for this type of thing? It makes no sense to build civilization in high risk areas and then act surprised and dumbfounded when high risk occurrences happen?
I think S Florida is more prepared than most. It’s still hard for me to feel sorry for New Orleans back in the day when they where simply told leave or die and didn’t leave. Then it all got blamed on Bush. WTH?

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Worst is past them. Looks like it’s crossing the state and will head up the east coast. I got friend leaving for Outer Banks tomorrow. They are worried it’s gonna rain their entire trip.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I saw a Tiktok last night where 300-500 yards of the bay were dry....water was sucked out by the hurricane. It mentioned to watch out when it returns. I am completely unfamiliar with this....never heard of it

Tis like the greedy critter with the long snout within the old Pink Floyd movie, The Wall; the large hurricanes will suck up all the water.

Will be some good surf again from it fairly soon.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I saw a Tiktok last night where 300-500 yards of the bay were dry....water was sucked out by the hurricane. It mentioned to watch out when it returns. I am completely unfamiliar with this....never heard of it

"...It's physics playing out on a large scale. Hurricane Ian's winds are swirling counter-clockwise as it moves northward along the Florida peninsula, so its winds are whipping the water away from the shoreline ahead of the center. As the storm passes through, winds in its eastern and lower half will shove water back toward land — and inland — at a prodigious rate..."

keeruss8

8 pointer
Jun 19, 2016
Marrowbone
I
I watched that live on a storm chasers dash cam. Pretty wild. Reminded me of watching video of that Thailand tsunami year's ago. Water sucked out and then came flying back in

Latest posts