Hunting with dog!

twofeathers

BBBC Members
Nov 14, 2004
paducah, ky
Well I got my first chance to hunt fall turkeys with a dog this friday, and it is great.
I met 2 guys that where down here from NY hunting with their dogs.
I got to go out with them on friday.
We did'nt get into birds till 3:30 and it was neat watching how a dog works turkey scent. The birds busted and then the dogs came back in. These 2 guys where helluva callers so I just sit there with my bow waiting for a bird. At 4:42 a hen came by me at 24 yards (I stepped it off) and it would not stop till one of the guys filled her full of turkey load. That made his tag for the fall gun season as he had killed a jake on thursday morn. The other guy got a hen on thursday also.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it.

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
I haven't but have read a few articles on it and it sounds like fun, but I don't think I'll run out and invest in a turkey dog anytime soon. Just curious, what did the dogs do while the turkeys were working back in? I've read some guys train em to just lay real still while others teach their dogs to hide in burlap sacks completely motionless. That is dog training!

twofeathers

BBBC Members
Nov 14, 2004
paducah, ky
skin_dog1 said:
I haven't but have read a few articles on it and it sounds like fun, but I don't think I'll run out and invest in a turkey dog anytime soon. Just curious, what did the dogs do while the turkeys were working back in? I've read some guys train em to just lay real still while others teach their dogs to hide in burlap sacks completely motionless. That is dog training!
Thes 2 dogs would get in between the owners legs and lay still. This was something to see. I am glad to have met these 2 guys.

Kyshorthair

6 pointer
Sep 12, 2003
Louisville
Sounds pretty cool. I'd love to see those dogs in action.

We were walking the dogs this spring along some back roads and my GSP was off her leash. She thought we were on a hunting trip I guess. The next thing I know she is locked up on the edge of the woods pointing something. I walked over to see what it was, when a hen came clucking out. The hen high tailed it out of there and flushed faster than any turkey I've ever seen. Phe, my GSP, got so fired up. Biggest quail she'd ever seen!!

Last edited:

settermollieb

6 pointer
Feb 18, 2003
Warrenton,MO
dogs, why your everyday bird dog works just fine, i had to put to sleep last week mt old brit, she pointed and caught two in her liftime, here in mo you cain't use dogs, my brother lives in mcclean county, he's got his benelli loaded with heavy loads and full choke and 9's with ic tube ready to go in his coat pocket, when he came over here this year one of his setters pointed a turkey. my dogs over the year have pointed and the turkeys will usually hold until i get up there.

P. Beyer

12 pointer
Dec 12, 2001
Ballard Co
Sounds like a great hunt, I'd really like to see a pair of dogs work like that, then come back a lay completely still. I'll bet it was a show. Congrats on your hunt and the experience.

turkeydog

Fawn
Jan 9, 2005
Bonduel, WI
Fall turkey hunting with your dog

Greetings from Wisconsin and the American Wild Turkey Hunting Dog Association. After Frank Cox hunted his 8 month old dog in Kentucky last Fall he said, "Fall turkey hunting with my dog makes me feel like a kid again. It's the most excitement I've had hunting in a long time." Read everything you want to know about the sport in the Turkey Dog News.

Last edited:

skin_dog1

BBBC Members
Jan 2, 2004
Bowling Green, KY, USA.
I'm glad KY passed the new law, although I'll probably never hunt turkeys with a dog. There was alot of negative attitudes towards it when the law was first adopted, but I haven't heard of any negative experiences since the season started.

turk2di

Cyber-Hunter
Feb 25, 2003
evansville, ind
skin_dog1 said:
I'm glad KY passed the new law, although I'll probably never hunt turkeys with a dog. There was alot of negative attitudes towards it when the law was first adopted, but I haven't heard of any negative experiences since the season started.
I believe the lack of negatives is due in large part to the fact that hardly no-one hunted with a dog. Had public ground been full of runnin dog's, runnin thru others hunters set-ups, it would have been a different tune.

twofeathers

BBBC Members
Nov 14, 2004
paducah, ky
turkeydog said:
Greetings from Wisconsin and the American Wild Turkey Hunting Dog Association. After Frank Cox hunted his 8 month old dog in Kentucky last Fall he said, "Fall turkey hunting with my dog makes me feel like a kid again. It's the most excitement I've had hunting in a long time." Read everything you want to know about the sport in the Turkey Dog News.

The 2 guys that I met in the second hunt where down here with frank on the first hunt. I have yet to met frank in person but have spoke to him many times on the net.

It was a experience that I will never forget.

Latest posts