Hunting Taylorsville Lake wma new hunter

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Naegart89, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Naegart89

Naegart89 Fawn

Nov 5, 2017
    Kentucky
    Just got into hunting last year and no one in my family really hunts so I’ve been learning as I go but will be hunting Taylorsville Lake wma this year with a bow due to it being so close and that I have a 3 year old and 1 year old and it’s tough to get time to make a trip or go to a place farther away

I wanted to see if anyone had any tips on this area or recommendations ive gone up a hand full of times to scout but like I said I’m new to hunting so any help would be appreciated

2. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    Shew. I've been there x2 and have taken 2 bucks and one doe. I never saw a lot of deer but this was several yrs ago on quota hunts. Some pretty woods in there for sure. Saw some huge rubs tho on trees about big as my thigh.

Naegart89 likes this.
  3. Blackdog85

Blackdog85 6 pointer

Oct 28, 2014
    Briar ridge area is huge and holds plenty of deer. They key is getting away from other hunters. Go deeper than everybody else. You'll have plenty of opportunities there.

mac0492, WMAallDAY, BowOnly and 2 others like this.
  4. mudhole crossing

mudhole crossing 12 pointer

Aug 20, 2007
    East ky
    I was let out both times on a boat before daylight. Kinda creepy too. A flock a turkey scared the crap out of me in a pine thicket. One buck I killed I was sitting on the red painted property boundary. I saw him at first light. He ate under a big oak long enough to finally see my cross hairs. After it got daylight there was a house 100 yards away lol. I had never been there before but I was on this side of the property line.

Naegart89 likes this.
  5. Naegart89

Naegart89 Fawn

Nov 5, 2017
    Kentucky
    I appreciate all the responses!

6. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Briar Ridge Rd...go back until you see the parking area on the left...either side of the road has deer...I prefer the left side (larger area)...follow the trail through the field until you pass a small pond on the right...the area I have hunted is immediately past on the right of the trail...it is a point that goes down to the lake but at that point is relatively flat and usually has some good mast...

Best of luck...

Naegart89 likes this.
  7. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    Man I used to hunt out there a lot place is covered in deer. Get away from the crowds and hunt the topo. That gos for any of the areas.

Naegart89 likes this.
  8. Naegart89

Naegart89 Fawn

Nov 5, 2017
    Kentucky
    Man I appreciate all the tips they have been all very helpful I can’t wait to get out there

9. cedar creek

cedar creek 10 pointer

Sep 7, 2014
    Just go home n there and sit down hunt the wind and enjoy yourself, you will learn as you go, don’t get caught up in all the modern day hunting BS , you will make mistakes learn from them and move on.

10. Mob169"

Mob169" 6 pointer

Aug 14, 2010
    Awesome place to hunt. Opportunities everywhere. Do not get discouraged with bad hunts and experiences out there. The heaviest hunted areas can and will pay off if hunted oct25 through late Nov. Don't burn yourself out early season out there. Wait till the rut to hit it hard and you will be successful. Lots of 2.5-3.5Yo bucks to be had. Some true giants out there also. Good Luck!

BowOnly and Naegart89 like this.
  11. Marine_Hunter

Marine_Hunter Fawn

Sep 7, 2014
    Is this on the road out past the shooting range?

12. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 8 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    Yes...same road just keep going...
    Archery is not that bad (this is a really good place)...
    Quota hunt has more people you will run into...
    There are also turkeys everywhere (be prepared to harvest those as well)...

An early squirrel hunt (in August) would have you slipping through the woods learning terrain, topography, and finding sign...find the funnels (which limit deer movement) and you will find deer...

As always, be prepared for some serious work once you have made your harvest...the area is relatively flat, gently sloping to my (raised in SE KY) eyes, and a game cart can really help here...

NOT sure which way you are coming from (Lexington, Louisville, South) but there are other WMAs you might also consider...
    There is also a gas station just a little ways out from the lake (I come down KY55 from I-64) that serves a nice breakfast, cheap...2 fresh eggs (however you want them), hashbrown log, meat (bacon, sausage, etc), biscuit and gravy for like $3...I trade out the meat for an extra egg (do not eat pork)...

Naegart89 likes this.
  13. Naegart89

Naegart89 Fawn

Nov 5, 2017
    Kentucky
    Always good to know if things don’t work out I can get myself a good breakfeast near by lol

14. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Well said. ^
    I started hunting around 20 yrs old and noone in my family hunts so i know how you feel. Relax be patient and dont be too hard on youself. I put a lot of pressure on myself early on and looking back it was the root of most of my mistakes. Too much equipment, too much moving around looking for the perfect spot without looking at a topo, & wearing too much clothing when moving.

BowOnly and Naegart89 like this.
  15. WMAallDAY

WMAallDAY Spike

Nov 27, 2017
    Bluegrass Region
    Across from the cemetery? I have hunted the ridge behind that pond too. Awesome white oaks.

Naegart89 likes this.