Hunting Phone Apps

Swampy207

6 pointer
Sep 30, 2014
Just seeing if anyone is using any phone apps similar to "Hunt Stand". If so whats your take on them, good or bad.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I use antler insanity. Simple, and does what I need. If I was hunting a large parcel I wasn't familiar with, then I'd get ONX so I could see property lines. It's a good app.

bdbrown66

8 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
For you guys who use Huntstand or OnX, I know you can mark positions, but is there a GPS feature to navigate to a specific point? Like, precise distance and direction to a treestand, in the dark? Or is it just the map view?

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
For you guys who use Huntstand or OnX, I know you can mark positions, but is there a GPS feature to navigate to a specific point? Like, precise distance and direction to a treestand, in the dark? Or is it just the map view?
Antler Insanity has that. Walk to, or drive to. Free app.

littlebear

12 pointer
Aug 21, 2007
the woods
Antler insanity for me. Got HuntStand also but like antler insanity better. Been using it for a few years and really like it. Does what I need. Plus it has an antler scoring section on it. I've used that several times when scoring a rack.

Carpdaddy

12 pointer
May 12, 2016
Corbin, Ky
I have used the Trimble GPS app for the last couple years. I like it quite well for saving maps and finding waypoints in them without having phone service. Unfortunately something has happened to it and the background maps are no longer visible. I read somewhere that they are closing it out so I’ll be looking again. I also use HuntStand for checking wind direction but want something to guide me back to my truck should I lose my direction. Ever since bloodtrailing after dark and finally finding the Deer, then looking up not knowing which way to drag, I know the value!

Swampy207

6 pointer
Sep 30, 2014

I know with Huntstand, I can make a trail as I walk in the wood, and when I pull up the app, I can zoom in and follow it almost exactly to my stand with out ever looking up. I also like it because I can put info of deer sightings and it helps keep a log of activity time and area. I've never seen antler insanity, may have to give that a look.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
I use several, but my favorite by far is US Topo Maps. You can view dozens of different satellite, topo, and hybrid layers. Plus you can mark locations and track/measure routes. Also I use OnX for property lines.

Latest posts