Hunting over corn

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by sniperflash, Aug 17, 2014.

1. sacmarata

sacmarata 10 pointer

Jul 28, 2014
    there
    Was baiting even legal during the last REAL blue tongue outbreak? Was there ever any findings that bait piles correlated to an epidemic?

I know out west with CWD they have done a lot of research that makes a lot of sense concerning the spread of disease when a population becomes congested, but I can't recall any such findings that affected KY's herds.

I trust the KDFWR wouldn't allow bait if there was a direct correlation between the spread of disease and feeders/piles of corn.

2. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Yes baiting was legal. Baiting has nothing to do with it. The lack of water is what brings them together and the flies can bite many more deer at fewer locations.

3. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    First off....i am not against baiting....But how can you say the baiting had nothing to do with the spread of EHD as well as the lack of water...........it is spread by midges .....when deer are in a close proximity of course theres going to be a better chance of the biting midges going from one deer to the next.........just makes sense....now the baiting isn't what caused the EHD....but it certainly can help in the spread of it.......

4. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Still not an answer to feeding bears while baiting for deer. It has been a problem, its been posted on this site about bears destroying feeders. Now, if you are in eastern KY, and baiting deer, and the bears begin hitting you're bait site, are you, or are you not deliberately feeding bears ? That is my question, rehash all the other, again and again, but don't answer that one question.

5. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
  6. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    Is it illegal to feed mountain lions? I need to know quick.

7. randy grider

randy grider 12 pointer

Mar 15, 2006
    Burgin, KY
    Nothing in the regs about it, I say dump out the meow mix ! ;)

8. 150PandY

150PandY BBBC Members

Sep 9, 2004
    Frankfort, KY, USA.
    I feel like it's Groundhog Day reading this thread. It's the same stuff from the same 3 or 4 people over and over and over. Good grief, hunt the way you want, as long as it's legal and shut up!!

In the mean time I'm going to go buy some corn and tag me a booner since it's that easy!!

9. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    I never took you were for or against baiting....just trying to explain what you ask about. The reason baiting has nothing to do with it is what I've explained. The Midge are not attracted to bait. They are in water because its their life cycle. It wouldn't matter if it were a pile of bricks or corn. The Midge is concentrated in a very small area due to very limited water supply. We have many food sources in the state. There can be as many deer feeding around a hot oak or apple tree as there is around a bait pile. The water is the key. If not, the EHD would be as high in wet and dry years.

10. ddwhitetails

ddwhitetails 10 pointer

Jul 6, 2014
    you are right that the water is key...however if you have a bait sight located close to a water source....it can aid in the spread of EHD......i do think we are going in circles on this thread......because it really doesn't matter as long as baiting is legal.......it is what it is....and no matter how any of us feel people will hunt any way it is legal......and thats ok!!!

11. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    What are you even asking. Of course you are not deliberately feeding the bears. Feeders also feed most animals in the woods. I don't mean to feed all these animals but its going to happen because unless someone finds a gate to keep all other species out then other animals will eat some of it. Do you deliberately feed bugs and other critters when you put out a garden? I guess the right thing to do, according to you, would be to outlaw gardens.

12. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    The midges may not be attracted to bait, but the proximity of deer to one another (some of which may have infected midges on them) caused by the baiting could certainly be a factor. On a very local scale, I'd certainly think that baiting could exacerbate an EHD outbreak.

That being said, I would be highly skeptical of any claims that baiting played any significant role in the last big EHD outbreak in 2007. I simply don't believe there's any evidence that would substantiate such a claim.

On the other hand, I think that a potential baiting ban would and should be considered if Kentucky ever has an outbreak of some kind of communicable disease (such as CWD) where solid evidence exists that deer proximity (which undoubtedly occurs with baiting) more easily transmits the disease. I believe that, because I believe, in that kind of situation, the likelihood of baiting having a major negative impact on our herd would be much more prevalent.

13. Ginsenghunter

Ginsenghunter 10 pointer

Jul 5, 2010
    On the line
    I have also seen certain bucks shy from a feeder. I have seen it from the stand and trail cam as well. They skirt the site, then never show back up on cam. I have seen them go as far as to smell the corn, look around and up into the trees, then walk away never to be seen again.
    In my opinion (key words), a 5 yr old buck will eat from a feeder just like anything else. The difference is--one who has been shot, shot at, or just shaken in general at such a site once or more than once doesn't seem to forget such things.
    I have seen bucks pick out a black out trail cam and never use that trail again. No corn, nothing. They looked at it and that was it.
    I like to spread corn out and rake leaves over it to some extent if I have a spot with a big buck.

14. I agree 100% on deer skirting a feeder. Biggest time i believe is during the rutting activity from the point of bucks cruising looking for does. years back, I had a feeder with an auto time cast. It was triggered at dusk and shortly after dawn. I had a great buck coming in my direction till my spin feeder went off and he turned tail and ran as fast as he could. Not sure where he originated, but was not a local and use to the feeder. I pulled the battery form that feeder and never ran it again. matter of fact, it's still hanging at the farm I left it at in 2007. (Ower tells me the feeder, stand and climbing sticks are all still there) If I ever get nother, as I may, it we be programmable and NOT spread corn at a likely time that deer are to travel thru.

15. wademup

wademup 12 pointer

Feb 5, 2004
    benton, ky, USA.
    He asked me to share his preference for ground feeding! Screenshot_2014-08-30-22-35-54(1).jpg