Hunting out of a non-truck

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by theprofessor, Jan 30, 2020.

1. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    I've been hunting from a little jeep liberty for about 3 yrs, dam thing goes places my Silverado wouldn't and gas milage is great.
    I pull a small trailer with my quad and haul deer on, I don't miss a truck one bit .

HCDH66 and bgkyarcher like this.
  2. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    My main vehicle is truck, my second vehicle is a truck and my wife drives an Excursion. I'd be lost without a truck.

Southpaw, bgkyarcher and muddhunter like this.
  3. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    The 11 years I had an Explorer, followed by a Mitsubishi Montero Sport, were difficult as far as putting up stands. Just not much room for stands and gear.... Vowed I'd never be without a truck again....

4. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    I'll tell you one thing, an older Subaru Outback will go about anywhere I want to go in a roadworthy vehicle. If you found a beater with a good drive train, it would work pretty well...if you don't need to pull a heavy trailer. It's hard to beat a 4X4 truck, though.

5. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Being without 4WD for the first time in my hunting career, I find it more annoying than not having a truck. I've had jeeps and trucks that were 4x4, but now have one that is only 2WD. Its great for hauling deer, but limits me on where I can go on the farm or under what conditions. I've gotten it stuck a few times already.

6. Drahts

Drahts 12 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    or two! Back in early 90's first wife talked me into a Tahoe. HATED it not being a truck. Those were the only 6 yrs I didn't have a truck since I turned 16. I always put a cap on my trucks cause I have a homemade truckvault and travel for birdhunting. But I take my cap off for periods of time and hoist it to the rafters in the garage when I want use the open bed. I have a farm truck the previous owner left and the 2nd wife drives a truck! ;)

HCDH66, Southpaw and Grago like this.
  7. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Definietly not my first choice, but you're right about the Subaru. Long story, but wound up having to take down 3 ladder stands and 3 hang ons with sticks all in the same day. We had to use my buddy's Subaru outback but it went some places that surprised me and got 3 guys and all the stands out in one trip. Took alot of rope lol

8. The worst thing about owning a truck is,you become very popular with family and friends that don't own a truck lol.They always got something to move.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    HCDH66 likes this.
  9. Recurve77

Recurve77 10 pointer

Aug 7, 2012
    My 1st hunting vehicle was a 64 VW Beetle. It held me, my gun or bow and my Baker stand and it got me into and out of places that I wasn’t sure it would. I never killed a deer while using it as my hunting ride and I don’t know where I would have put one if I did kill one! Now, I don’t know that I will ever be without a pickup.

HCDH66 likes this.
  10. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    My last few vehicles have been SUV’s and haven’t considered it a pain at all. 4wd and V8’s under the hood. Pulled any load I wanted and have plenty of room to keep my gear dry and secure while hauling passengers too. I typically use a carrier or pull my small trailer if something is too big to fit in it or strap on top.

Ataulbe1 likes this.
  11. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    The nice thing about having a truck is hauling things that stink in the bed - like a dog that rolled in something dead, or something dead or funky trash.

HCDH66 likes this.
  12. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Do what I did, buy a heavy fiberglass topper and bolt it on. It makes a good excuse to not haul fridges, etc.

HCDH66 and Junglekat like this.
  13. Teach Deer

Teach Deer 6 pointer

Aug 4, 2013
    Georgetown
    While I do have a pickup (F150 4x4), I also use my Jeep Cherokee with a hitch haul on the back quite a bit...
    If it is just me (with the Jeep), I put down the rear seat and put gear including stands in the back and save the hitch haul for the deer...no problem...

HCDH66 and Grago like this.
  14. HCDH66

HCDH66 6 pointer

Apr 10, 2019
    Hardin County
    I miss the “3 on the tree” vehicles. I learned to drive with that on our farm truck.

Junglekat and Winchester94 like this.
  15. Munson

Munson 10 pointer

Dec 24, 2011
    Natural Bridge
    Had a 2wd s10 with mud tires, no power steering 5sp. While it got me places it shouldn't have a few times, I've had more times being pulled/walked out. I had enough of having a car with a bed so its been a 4x4TRUCK from there on out.

You wanna talk about getting hit up for loaners buy ya a box trailer lol. Every time it frigging gives a Chance of rain at times.

Junglekat likes this.