Hunting on Benches

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Derrickdeer, Aug 23, 2019.

1. hunter40502

hunter40502 8 pointer

Mar 5, 2014
    Bracken County

I have a bench on one of my ridges, but its a high bench. High enough to catch the wind right. This bench is surrounded by beds. I hunt it early in the morning with a south wind and catch them coming back to bed or during the rut when bucks are scent-checking the bedding area. And when the sun comes up the thermals really pull my scent uphill well. The reason it works though is the fact the bench is only about 30 feet below the ridge top vertically.

Derrickdeer likes this.
  2. Gforcetrivers

Gforcetrivers 10 pointer

Sep 23, 2016
    Burkesville
    Welcome! I think as long as the BENCH isn't sitting too close to a house you are good.

mac0492 and Derrickdeer like this.
  3. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I've noticed over the years that bucks don't like to run the crest. They always run that first bench down or just off the side of it. Even if there is a logging road on the bench they will trail 20 to 30 yards off to the side. I guess it's years of conditioning where they've ran into danger being on roads in daylight. Seems like I only see young bucks on the logging roads unless a hot doe drags them over.

Regulator623 likes this.
  4. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    What about saddles? I have always had great luck hunting saddles.

Derrickdeer likes this.
  5. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    I hunt the big unbroken forests of DBNF and saddles are one of the best places to be. Deer don't use every holler or every saddle,so you have to do the homework to be successful. Super good place to be during the rut.

Derrickdeer and ojibwa62 like this.
  6. Genesis 27:3

Genesis 27:3 10 pointer

Oct 13, 2018
    Christain county
    I hunt big woods on public land quite abit.it's tough hunting but big bucks are regular on trail cams.I try to hunt benches,pinch points,saddles.wind direction for certain areas are very hard to figure out because the deer move in so many directions.I scout hard and hunt harder.learning the woods(food sources,bedding areas)it all adds up.nothing like just being out in the woods.also I try to learn something every time I go to the woods.its like putting a puzzle together.eventually everything will come together.to kill mature bucks on a regular bases you have to be prepared and persistent.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Derrickdeer and Brody like this.
  7. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    The entire place I hunt is rolling ridges. Not steep valleys/hollers like EKy but rolling ridges. I can tell you this, you can flat forget playing the wind. Usually the wind will hit me in the face one blow and 5 mins later hit me in the back of the head. We scent up good and play the waiting game. It’s zone 1, giants have been killed in the area, and yet, one of the toughest, most unpredictable places I’ve ever hunted. I have seen 20+ in a day and sat as many as 4 straight hunts in mid November and not seen a single deer. Although, I’m no rookie, I feel like I still don’t have a good understanding of the whole bench/saddle thing. Additionally, no matter where we access the land, we’re running deer off or pushing them back and the backside is someone else’s land. Basically, you got 1-2 ways in, get in the stand or blind as quickly and quietly as possible, hope you get lucky. Now, there are times they are very responsive to calling.

Derrickdeer likes this.
  8. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Someone needs to come up with a movable blind that can contain your scent. Maybe some sort of hard plastic window that allows you to drop it when ready to shoot.

Derrickdeer likes this.
  9. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    True, but knowing me, my stubborn butt would still be in a stand.

10. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

I'm not a fan of blinds. I love my climber and the ability to move easily and get out of line of sight but the scent factor is my biggest problem.

mac0492 and xbokilla like this.
  11. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    I don’t use my climber enough. I hunt a lot of ladder stands but with rolling ridges, obviously my spots are limited, so most are on flats near acorn trees, used trails, etc...

12. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

Getting ladder stands to my spots would be difficult, plus I don't want them stolen. Also, with acorns being the main attraction I have to keep moving around to find them. May be in the same general area but need to move 30 yards one way or the other makes the climber the best option. I also like the fact that they can't pattern me if I get busted in one spot.

xbokilla likes this.
  13. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    All I hunt here in WVA is mountains the deer travel the benches a lot I always get above or below , the bench if it’s at a point where the bench rounds I get above so I can see both sides but it depends on location and ease of entrance deer like points to bed on , flats and saddles are also a good set up

Derrickdeer and Brody like this.
  14. Benches in the hills and hollows,is tough way to kill one.Step on the treestand from the back, 150 ft straight down off the front then there is ground.Thermals,swirling currents.It can be done,how many do you run off, that you never see.Good luck,if that's all you that's all you got.

mac0492 and Derrickdeer like this.
  15. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Yep, wilderness unbroken forest in EKY is hard to hunt. But there's some biguns in there!

Derrickdeer and mykizha like this.