Hunting on a private cemetery

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Pollcat, Dec 11, 2019.

1. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 10 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    Can you imagine what crazy PETA members would do in a graveyard full of nothing but deceased hunters?

Campfire likes this.
  2. Campfire

Campfire 6 pointer

Oct 24, 2019
    Camp
    Well me might have to allow a little trapping there. Say some bear traps or yote traps when the PETA crew shows up. Just have to brush the traps in real good. I’d just be sad to be dead and miss seeing that. Lmao.

HuntressOfLight likes this.
  3. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    There'd be some serious competition on who had the largest buck on their headstone.

Winchester94 and Campfire like this.
  4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Any colonels, generals, or other officers there? Especially from the Civil War. Asking for a friend.

gung and drakeshooter like this.
  5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    The OP said that the cemetery is 1/2 acre.
    That is pretty small. About anything he shoot will run onto private property before dying

6. woodsman92

woodsman92 6 pointer

Feb 16, 2019
    Russell Co
    Does he leave his climber attached to the tree? If it’s easy for you to access take a ladder and take the climber about 10-15 feet up and leave it.
    That won’t hurt anything but would ruin a hunt, and hopefully motivate him to leave.

Carl likes this.
  7. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    One that old is full of deceased hunters.

8. Suburbhunter

Suburbhunter Fawn

Jun 9, 2017
    Butler Co
    This is correct. I have a cemetery on my property, probably 10-12 unreadable headstones. It sounds like the OP is talking about is abandoned. Therefore, it is probably private property. Mine is abandoned. Not touched in who knows how many years grossly overgrown and one would be hard pressed to find it. I have no obligation to maintain it, however it is not open to the public. I own it now and let those there rest in peace. If descendants, and only descendants, find it and wish to visit it, I have to let them, however I can set dates and times for visitation.

9. barney

barney 12 pointer

Oct 11, 2005
    Ignore any pm's from slickhead slayer asking for location.

jblack1, yote hunter, Carl and 7 others like this.
  10. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    When you buy a burial plot, don't you own that land? So while someone could own the land between the plot rows and whatever other land doesn't have anyone buried in it, how can you own a whole cemetery with people buried in it?

drakeshooter likes this.
  11. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Have you tried OnX maps or the PVA’s office? Someone has to be getting a tax bill or show ownership.

kyoutdoorsman likes this.
  12. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    Back in the day people buried their relatives in a hillside on the farm - or on a neighbor's farm or a farm where they had worked. There were several members of my grandmother's family (from the mid to late 1800s) buried on a hillside in graves marked by rocks. That old family cemetery was overgrown by trees and I doubt I could even find it now. Many of the folks on my grandpa's side - including my great-grandfather - were buried on their farm that was covered by water when Dale Hollow Lake was impounded. They "moved" the remains and placed a monument (still in the campground of Dale Hollow Lake State Park) in memory.

The farm we own in Russell county is home to the grave of a riverboat Captain and his slave. Family history has it that the slave fell overboard and the Captain drowned trying to save him. The Captain had left instructions that if he should ever perish on the water he wanted to be buried where the waters of the Cumberland River would never cover his grave.

The issue is, when the family farm is sold, the graves remain.

Ataulbe1 and Carl like this.
  13. Pollcat

Pollcat 8 pointer

Mar 29, 2005
    Yes sir. Onx maps shows it's private property with no name listed. I've contacted the PVA office....They don't have any information on it because it's not a taxable property. They only have records of properties that are taxable. I've talked to the county clerk. She's going to help me search the deed books and try to find who the cemetery has been deeded down to over the years. I've researched the cemetery and found who initially set the land aside as a family cemetery in 1830. I know who owned the farm that joined the cemetery in 1957......Guy had the same last name as the man who set the land aside in 1830.

The last time the cemetery was cleaned up was the spring of 2009, after the ice storm. I spent two days by myself in there with a chain saw removing trees and limbs. Nobody offered to help and it hasn't been cleaned since.

14. predator1

predator1 12 pointer

Dec 25, 2008
    Glasgow,Ky
    Guess that leaves you one of two options then. Either mothball the area. Or start hunting it yourself. Obviously, it appears no one can stop you. Or invite someone you know and trust to start hunting it if you have no desire to hunt there. Remove their desire to hunt it....