Hunting on a private cemetery

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by Pollcat, Dec 11, 2019.

1. slickhead slayer

slickhead slayer 12 pointer

Nov 14, 2005
    VP OF ADMIN Development
    What a travesty. Cemeteries are for relic hunting, not bow hunting. This guy needs to be prosecuted.

2. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don’t understand. I don’t understand why you are so opposed to him hunting there nor do I understand how he is trespassing without anyone to prosecute? Sounds like he found a good spot.

3. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Yeah....you need a good sharp shovel because of the roots.. :^)

4. riverboss

riverboss 12 pointer

Jan 26, 2009
    northern ky
    Get one of those Halloween skeletons and start digging! Leave parts of it exposed, call the police next time you see his vehicle parked and report you found a dug up grave.

5. bigbonner

bigbonner 12 pointer

Aug 5, 2015
    You can always play his game . Put up some purty flags and don't forget to put up a lot of wind chimes:D
    Decorate for all the lonely soles buried there.
    You can also look up names on the stones then try and find family's that may be looking up their ancestry . There is a lot of people looking for where their family's are buried . Then you could have one put up a no trespassing sign and sign that sign

6. timer

timer 10 pointer

Feb 20, 2013
    La Grange
    This is interesting....I've always heard that people have to be given access to cemeteries. There are many, many old family cemeteries on the farms around the Cumberland River. Most of them are small - no where near 1/2 acre, but there are a lot of them and descendants still visit and decorate the grave sites. But I've never heard of anyone claiming the right to hunt in one.

I'd talk with the County Attorney, but I don't think that you are going to be able to deny the guy access to the cemetery and I don't know of any regulations that would prohibit him from hunting there. But then there would also be no regulations against you cleaning up the cemetery and making it inhospitable for deer.

If the landowner who allows you to hunt agrees, you might even consider installing a fence around the cemetery.

7. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    New field layout blind at Dicks sporting goods
    blind.jpg

MoMan, redjackson, kyhunter99 and 9 others like this.
  8. Ataulbe1

Ataulbe1 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2017
    Estill County
    Now that's funny!

9. nat103

nat103 Spike

Jan 30, 2019
    Kentucky
    Have to give him credit that’s very creative

EdLongshanks likes this.
  10. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    This thread has a lot of potential...

11. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    The hunter in question is trespassing.

To my understanding of the law, that unless the cemetery is a deeded public cemetery, owned by county, city or cemetery board, that it’s 100% private. Or, a cemetery is considered “public” if the owner sells lots to the general public. If the county hasn’t deemed it public, then it isn’t

Landowners have to let relatives have access, but no one else. Unless this guy can prove he is a relative, and thus prove the ownership of the cemetery, then he is trespassing, plain and simple. There is also a clause in the law about “reasonable use”, and I would gather that deer hunting does not constitute that.

A lot of articles about it, but tried to find a simple explanation.

https://mpmfirm.com/2014/10/dont-be-haunted-by-the-private-family-cemetery/

http://preservationkentucky.org/cemetery-preservation-kentucky-statutes-on-cemeteries/

timer likes this.
  12. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    Man can you imagine a booner and some gold from one of those graves. Sounds like a true hotspot to me. If hes put out some mineral in there it would save him some shovel work over the summer months

ptbrauch, Southpaw, reivertom and 3 others like this.
  13. HuntressOfLight

HuntressOfLight 12 pointer

Nov 23, 2019
    Kentucky
    The man in which you reference is a disgrace. If you do not know the name of a local Veteran Service Officer, call this number and provide the city, state, and zip code. They will provide you with contact information for a local one, whom may be capable of assisting you, provided one of the deceased is a veteran:

888-777-4443

You may also wish to contact the local American Legion.

Campfire likes this.
  14. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    Two birds....one stone. Brilliant!

drakeshooter likes this.
  15. littlebear

littlebear 12 pointer

Aug 21, 2007
    the woods
    Years ago we raised crops and had hunting rights on a farm that had a really old cemetery in the middle of it. Most all graves was 1800s. I hunted about 50 yds from the edge of it. The deer would burn that area up. Saw a ton of deer there. Always felt strange watching the sun come up and seeing all those stones.

drakeshooter likes this.