Hunting licenses question

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by jasunky1, Nov 21, 2018.

1. jasunky1

jasunky1 6 pointer

Dec 14, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    2FCA3261-7B5E-4093-8641-557C91161238.jpeg 27B9D2E6-97E5-4526-8386-5F2B9118F1B1.jpeg I have 2 buddies that hasn’t hunted this year at all because they really don’t have the extra funds to buy licenses and tags. Now both of their parents has a lot of acres to hunt. What is actually considered farm land to where they don’t have it purchase a licenses or tag?

2. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    If they live on the land even tho parents own it help farm it then they don't need them. If they live OFF THE LAND no home there then they need a license. If I was closer I would help them out and buy them for them if they are really struggling. Help a brother out if they are trying hard. I always say.

davers, EdLongshanks and dirtstalker like this.
  3. jasunky1

jasunky1 6 pointer

Dec 14, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    Does cutting the grass count? They both live on the property

4. theprofessor

theprofessor 6 pointer

Oct 14, 2013
    I know this isn’t what you’re looking for, but I’ll tell you what—if you’ve got two guys who aren’t hunting cuz they can’t afford it-instate, now, not out-of-state—I’ll buy one of them a license and deer tags if someone else on here gets the other. PM me.

DH13 likes this.
  5. jasunky1

jasunky1 6 pointer

Dec 14, 2007
    Eastern Kentucky
    One of them says they are just gonna wait until next year. Both probably. They don’t have many days to get to hunt anyway this year. But they greatly appreciate it. I think they just wanted to know for future reference

6. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    I would buy the other. But after talking with OP I think they will be ok. They live on the land right next door to parents. Help maintain and tend the land. So my opinion is they don't need license to hunt there. I think they will be OK to hunt.

7. 1wildcatfan

1wildcatfan 12 pointer

Jan 2, 2009
    raised n Bullitt Co.
    are they dependents? if not, do they actually farm the land or just knock around on it doing chores which in my opinion that's not enough.

8. supergoat80

supergoat80 10 pointer

Aug 31, 2012
    I think if they live there “if they reside on the property even if parents own they can hunt on that property without licenses” mowing grass working around the property would count as tending to it

9. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    They would have to be dependent children of the property owner to be exempt. Adult children are not exempt.

10. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    Living next door does not qualify them as tenants. Legal definition of tenant states they must both live and work on the property.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=46638

(39) "Tenant" means any resident sharecropper, lessee, or any other person actually engaged in work upon a farm or lands and residing in a dwelling on the farms or lands including noncontiguous lands, but shall not include any other employee or tenant unless actually residing on the property and engaged or employed as above mentioned

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/Statutes/statute.aspx?id=43015

(4) The resident owner of farmlands or his or her spouse or dependent children shall, without procuring any sport hunting or sport fishing licenses, have the right to take fish or hunt during the open season, except trapping, on the farmlands of which they are bona fide owners. Tenants or their dependent children residing upon these farmlands shall have the same privilege.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    They just don't live next door after I talked to the OP. They live on the same farm the parents own. They help their parents work and maintain the farm. So legally they are tenants too. But thanks for input.

elkaholic likes this.
  12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Who is the farm deeded to ? Is the homes/land the brothers live on deeded to them or their parents ?

13. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Parents. Who is the farm deeded to that tenants work on?

14. countryboy3006

countryboy3006 6 pointer

Jan 28, 2015
    Northern KY
    Are the houses they live in part of the farm or are they on lots that were deeded off the farm to them or ones next to the farm they bought. I would think for them to qualify both the farm and the houses they live in would have to be in their parents name to qualify as tenants but I don’t know for sure.