Hunting in Shelby county?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by JGD, Sep 22, 2008.

1. JGD

JGD Spike

Feb 3, 2008
    Nelson County
    I've got permission to hunt a farm in Shelby county during the rifle season and I was wondering about the overall deer heard and quality of bucks in the area. I have'nt had time to make it out there yet with work and family obligations but will soon. Farm is located on Aiken road close to Todd's Point. Anyone hunt that area that can give me a heads-up on what to expect? Thansk, John.

2. Matt722mx

Matt722mx 10 pointer

Oct 25, 2007
    Louisville, Kentucky
    From what I hear Adiken rd. holds some big deer.

3. buckfever

buckfever 12 pointer

Oct 25, 2002
    Harrods Creek Ky, USA.
    Wrong Aiken Road. The Aiken road where all the pics come from is over near Versailles.

The Aiken Road in Shelby County is zone 1 and has lots of deer around. The land is mixed between woods and fields, and there are several horse farms around. Not many of the fields are in production (i.e. corn or soybeans) in the area, and generally speaking, a lot are in fescue or alfalfa.

You can expect to see a lot of deer, but there's also a lot of hunting pressure. Unless the land has been managed, a 125-135 class deer should be about the upper limits of your expectations.

Do everyone a favor, and buy a bunch of tags and shoot every doe you see. :)

4. redbone

redbone BBBC Members

Dec 9, 2001
    KY.
    That is a pretty good area - but the deer density is not as populated like it is in Bagdad or Mt. Eden - but there are some quality genetics in that area.

Like BF said - that area has quite a few horse farms and not as much crop land.

good luck!

5. hunter1hall

hunter1hall 6 pointer

Dec 5, 2003
    Springfield, Kentucky.
    You should just stick to working. Leave the hunting to me!