Hunting Green River State Forest in the morning

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Battlehard25, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Battlehard25

Battlehard25 Spike

Jun 27, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    I think I'm going to give it a crack in the morning. I have been seeing coyotes almost every morning on the way to work and once on the way home. Alot of pups running around. Hopefully the rain will be over with by 0400. I have done well there in the past and I'll post a report when finished.

CC

2. coyote caller

coyote caller 6 pointer

Jan 24, 2010
    london ky
  3. Battlehard25

Battlehard25 Spike

Jun 27, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks, I usually need all the luck I can get hunting that place this time of year. It's pretty wooly and hard to hunt. There are almost no good vantage points unless you hunt straight down a road but by that time they are right on top of you. I'm just tired of sitting around and sewing up stuff (hobby) on my off days.

CC

4. cityslicker

cityslicker 8 pointer

Jan 11, 2010
    Hart county
    Good luck! Keep us posted.

5. Semp

Semp 10 pointer

Feb 4, 2008
    Kaintukee
    Good luck! I have hunted that WMA a couple of times and it is very thick.

6. Battlehard25

Battlehard25 Spike

Jun 27, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Well just got back.... Great morning weather wise. I got there about 30 min after first light, out of the truck and the wind was in my face perfect. I came in from the east side. Saw a skunk, possum, 2 turkeys (jakes) and 4 deer. One was way down the trail and look like he had a nice velvet rack. Real wide. No coyotes but I did manage to call in a red fox about half way into the property. Came into a woodpecker distress call on the Foxpro. He looked at the Critter decoy and didn't know what to think. Too bad they're out of season right now.

Anyway it was a good morning but didn't get the satisfaction of ghosting a coyote. On another note.... Found an ether can out on the trail too, so be careful out there and keep you eyes peeled for the Meth Zombies.

CC

7. Battlehard25

Battlehard25 Spike

Jun 27, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    Went back this morning and was able to get on the high ground from the SW entrance. Got set in before first light and all was looking good. Once I could see good enough I started calling with the Foxpro, using pup screams followed by a coy dog challenge. After the very first one man it sounded like I was surrounded. Yotes from 4 different locations sounded off. Stayed with it for 30 or so minutes and nothing..... I get down to pick up my decoy and call and I see a horseshoe laying in the middle of the road. I pick it up so no one will run over it (KDFW guys) and throw it over in the brush and spook out a coyote. I had my shotgun and rifle laying on the ground so I'm pretty much screwed. Ain't that some sh&t.... I would say that the coyote was 20-30 feet away. What luck, if I would have stayed put for another 5 minutes......... Did another set after that but I wasn't too much into it after the early morning event played out. Chalk that one up to the learning curve.

Anyway, saw lots of deer this morning. Spooked a bunch getting set in and saw two does on the way out. Man that place is hard to hunt by yourself. I went in the brush and found the horseshoe and brought it home to remember this by. One thing I can't understand is why did he let me get so close and not run off???

CC

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. Biscuit

Biscuit 6 pointer

Mar 7, 2010
    DONT TREAD ON ME
    Man that sounds like an eventful morning hope i have that much excitement 2morow. Id say why he let u get that close is one he was beded down and didnt hear or smell you. or two he was trying to lay low; have had deer do the same thing. They have laid there and let me walk right by and then bust out of the country like they were set on fire. That would be my guess as to what happened but wat can i say im no pro.

9. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    Bh25 you just brought up a subject I have wondered about many times. I would like to get opinions from our panel of experts:D Now we know there are no rules set in stone, but...Will I coyote sit tight and let you walk by at close range, or will if flush out ahead of you so you don't even get to see it. Sounds like this one was holding pretty tight! Just can't help but wonder if you hadn't thrown the horseshoe, would it have let you walk by and never jumped up.

10. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    I hunt a lot of public land. There's all kinds of people doing all kinds of activities. My personal experiences have shown me that in an area where coyotes are used to seeing people, they will, a lot of times, lay low till you get past. I've had them come into my stands not 5 minutes after ATVs or pick-up trucks drove right thru my stand.

11. Battlehard25

Battlehard25 Spike

Jun 27, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    One thing I can't understand is I just got thru calling a long set (30 min) and was in the process of collecting up my stuff to move on. That's what trips me out. Was the yote sitting there all along, that's the question. Fun none the less, might go and hit again in the morning.

CC

12. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    He may have just got there, then was laying low till you got by.

13. wked

wked 6 pointer

Nov 26, 2008
    West KY
    Ok ww thats what I wondered. I have never had anything to happen that made me think they would hold tight. If they sit there and you walk by, you would not know they were there. I have seen a few, just caught a glimpse, slip away out ahead of me. Can't even say I have ever had one hold like a deer/quail and almost kick it before it gets up. I agree that on the hunt bh25 described the yote probably just got there. Said he had started at daylight and had them answer from all around. Sounds like they had not got to bed yet.

14. Battlehard25

Battlehard25 Spike

Jun 27, 2010
    Western Kentucky
    That's the problem with hunting that place if it's not on the road you can't hardly see anything. There's plenty of big coyotes there too. Been busted by too many of them as they have worked in behind me and jumped out on the trail, then it's too late. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, all those acres for free is fine by me. I almost went this morning but figured I would give them a break for a day. I need to work on making a new type shotgun scabbard for my pack anyway.

Anyone want to go and hunt later on this week early (set in before daylight) give me a shout.

CC

ryandonnelly likes this.
  15. weedwalker

weedwalker 10 pointer

Nov 27, 2006
    London,Ky
    BH25, Do a little scouting over there. Look for some big hardwoods. You can usually see better in them where the undergrowth isn't too thick. Hunt the edges of the thickets, but from inside the woods where you can see. It's easier to call them into the woods than out into a field. Around here anyways.