Hunting Geo Caches

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by KYBOB, Jun 19, 2015.

1. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Ok, just learned of this. My daughter in law wanted me to go help " find " a Geocache.
    Never heard of it. So I Google it, turns our they are EVERYWHERE. Kinda fun actually.
    Anybody here hunt em?

If this belongs in the community forum, please move.
    Thanks.

BoB

2. Chilly

Chilly 12 pointer

Found one on Taylorsville Lake wma by accident while squirrel hunting. It was hidden in a log but it was empty. It was a coffee jar painted olive green and said geocache on it. Get a good gps and you should be in business.

3. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    I helped her find the one she had been looking for ( she said she looked several times and got frustrated ) she was using an APP on her IPhone. With the GPS enabled it was fairly easy to get in the ball park.
    I looked for about 5 min. And found it. It was in a hole in a tree on the other side of the road. The " clue " said to look for a W. It had a log book in it to sign after you find it.
    I thought it might be a local thing, or maybe regional. Turns out their are over two million of them all over the world. No telling how many times I've been right next to some and never knew it. Some are tiny, like a small pill bottle, others are bigger ( ammo can ). Kinda fun.

BoB

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  4. JR in KY

JR in KY 12 pointer

Jan 25, 2006
    The Occupied South
    Y'all need some Cows.
    You will have plenty to occupy your time.

5. Feedman

Feedman Cyber-Hunter

May 28, 2003
    In the basement
    Yep. I have been doing it for a few years. Good family activity. Three of us went last Sunday up to Guist Creek Lake with a boat an kayak an found several.

I have 60 cows

6. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    I was just surprised there was that much of it and I never even HEARD of it. Wouldn't want to do it everyday, but pretty fun

BoB

7. Capttrae

Capttrae 12 pointer

Apr 2, 2012
    Never heard of it till now, but sounds fun.

8. web splitter

web splitter 8 pointer

Feb 3, 2015
    i unintentionally found one in Jefferson Memorial Forest while hiking once.

9. rlb165

rlb165 12 pointer

Dec 10, 2001
    We did it a lot when the kids were younger. Many of the caches have little toys and things that you trade out. Also, some have a log book where you can enter your name, and the time and date you found it.
    It's hard to believe how many caches there are. I can almost guarantee you that you drive by several every day. At least that's how it is in the Hardin County/Etown area.

10. Zeb

Zeb 8 pointer

May 20, 2008
    Goshen, KY
    I hunted them with my kids when they were younger and had a lot of fun. They're everywhere and can take you into cool places that you'd never knew existed. Some are containers that you trade trinkets and others are small film containers that only have a log. They've taken us to waterfalls, rock formations, cool looking trees - just about anywhere the person hiding it thought was worth checking out. We still have an active cache that we hid in 2003 that sends email when it gets "found" and logged on the site. It's been a while since I've checked on it, thanks for the reminder. You can also release or move a "travel bug" from cache to cache and track it's progress through email notifications. They generally have a purpose like - go around the world, visit yellowstone, go to beaches or whatever.

LoL.. Sorry RLB... your post must have hit while i was typing

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  11. Navy Bowhunter

Navy Bowhunter 6 pointer

Jun 25, 2013
    Knifley, KY
    One of my buddies in the Navy is into it big time! We hunted Cache's all over the world finding some pretty interesting places in France, Spain, Dubai and Italy. I started hunting them with him in Fallon NV and we went to some old silver mine ghost towns across from Virginia City. Very cool

12. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    That's pretty cool.
    Looking at the online map, it shows one on an island in the middle of Barren Lake. Goose or Grass Island. People get pretty creative hiding them. The cool thing is you don't have to travel very far to hunt a few. Barren County is loaded.

BoB

13. SmokeShow

SmokeShow 10 pointer

Nov 11, 2013
    What site is used to know where they're at? Whats the process to add one if you wanted to - anyone can add one?

14. KYBOB

KYBOB 8 pointer

Dec 26, 2009
    Barren Co.
    Look up GEO Caching.com sign up was free. No sign up required if you have FaceBook. I am not on FB. I'm using an APP on the phone. My DIL bought the upgrade.
    One you find a cache , read the description and clues.
    Try one.

BoB

15. JeepComanche

JeepComanche 6 pointer

Feb 8, 2007
    Hopkins Co.
    Daughter and i used to it. Didn't have high numbers, but i skipped over alot, like say, light pole at Lowes parking lot ones, no thanks. They had to be interesting to us. We did alot in LBL. Some of those are gone i think, like Safe in the Woods. Yes, a safe laying out in the middle of the woods, havent seen it on the map lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk