Hunting cabins

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by rcb216, Aug 23, 2018.

1. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Alright, I’m starting to hate my forum peeps! Just kidding. I’m happy for all of you but jealous.

DaveInJax likes this.
  2. Some great cabins.Dont know how you keep people out of them thru the year

3. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    I leave mine unlocked. Every one around me had the mindset to lock them. Everyone of them had the door kicked in. I just leave a sign inside that says welcome and close tha cabinet door and please make sure the fire is out.

xbokilla and timer like this.
  4. JDMiller

JDMiller 12 pointer

Jun 12, 2005
    " Between the Rivers "
    After we built our cabin & set-up house so to speak... we always kept everything locked up. Which after a few years ..we got too comfortable and kept bringing more & more "stuff" and leaving it in the cabin. Even had a situation of my BIL going through a divorce....he put all his mounts up there and quite a few of his personal belongings.

Then ....we got broke in to.... pretty sure it was kids.... and suspect it had some to do with my BIL's divorce I mentioned. As the woman he was divorcing had some teen age children from a previous marriage.

They tried the locked door and never got in that way...but they damaged the door and frame pretty bad. So then they decided to try a window...which they succeeded in breaking the glass & frame. After they got in... 99% of the stuff stolen belonged to my BIL.... all his mounts, sleeping bag, lantern..ect. The remainder belonging to me or my FIL was a few kitchen items...flashlights... pretty minimal in comparison. But the worse part of it...they simply vandalized the place on the inside. They took cooking oil & flour we had in the pantry and poured on our beds & floor... damaged furniture.... it was a mess that took awhile to get cleaned up and fixed back.

After that..... we don't lock it up ..... just turn the handle and walk in... as at least were not fixing windows & doors.

But we don't leave anything of any value or the pantry stocked much more than canned goods now. We carry sleeping bags, lanterns, food...ect with us as we come & go.

So far.... we haven't had any problems since... and it is in a pretty remote location to that effect as not too many know a cabin is there..... with exception of family, friends & tresspassers who stumble on it.

5. rcb216

rcb216 12 pointer

Sep 25, 2005
    Robertson Co.
    Yeh to drive to mine you have to drive past our houses and to get to it from other side of the creek, you can drive part of the way, but have to take a 4 wheeler to get close, then walk the rest. So they won’t walk off with much, but small things like iron skillets, small electronics, etc. I’m more worried about it burning or vandalism. I have came in twice and seen where 2 people had been there and started a fire in the wood stove and lit one of our lanterns and had the wick up to high and smoke up the lens and ceiling. Also I have hidden cameras, so if anything does come up missing I’ll know. I also have several other things that I’m not gonna post on here that will let me know what’s going on. I don’t care if people use it, cause remote cabins will always have people check them out. So like I said earlier, I leave a note on a dry erase board on the food cabinet and welcome them and to please close things up and make sure the fire is out etc... aside from setting down there all the time that is about all you can do. I have good neighbors thank god. But who knows what the fire holds.

mudhole crossing likes this.
  6. jim rifanburg

jim rifanburg 6 pointer

Jul 27, 2016
    I don't lock mine either there is always food n water don't leave any thing to valuable there but if someone wants in no reason to break doors or windows never had any trouble

7. jeepndeer

jeepndeer 6 pointer

Nov 19, 2006
  8. kyjohnky

kyjohnky 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2014
    936EB8E1-D7BF-4B71-A7FE-CD89B41D7281.jpeg Marion co,been hunting same place since 2008.

xbokilla, Southpaw, bondhu and 2 others like this.
  9. camclo01

camclo01 6 pointer

Oct 11, 2010
    louisville, KY
    1E45A34D-19BD-48B5-9C69-D108CB294971.jpeg Nothing like what most of you guys have but my father and I setup camp on our lease every year for at least a week.

Primitive but man do we enjoy the time together just the two of us

carnivore, xbokilla, bondhu and 5 others like this.
  10. pentail

pentail Bacon Staff Member

Sep 25, 2002
    Savoring the smoke
    cabin11.jpg A few shots from the cabin over the years cabin1.jpg cabin5.jpg cabin7.jpg cabin8.jpg cabin9.jpg cabin10.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  11. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    mine was broken into. sorry bastards stole everything. im leaving the door unlocked from now on. at least i wont have to repair the door that away.

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I had a professor in college that was from between the rivers. He said the best way he found to keep folks from stealing from his farm was to not have anything worth stealing. From the looks of him you’d believe it. I admired him for that.

Junglekat and Southpaw like this.
  13. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    The ridge runner chicks strike again! Not funny, I know. That sucks, I hate a thief.

14. Journette

Journette Fawn

Jul 22, 2016
    I have a monitored alarm system with signs everywhere. No break-in in 19 years. 17853_106475606030393_6841889_n.jpg

xbokilla likes this.