Hunters need to exercise

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by bigbonner, Sep 5, 2019.

1. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I read an interesting article several years ago on this. According to the article, the biggest culprit with hunters and heart attack was when they saw a big buck. Their pulse raced so badly it caused cardiac arrest.....

2. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Seriously?! Not making light but since I never see any I probably would too!

mallardkiller and barney like this.
  3. xbokilla

xbokilla 12 pointer

Jun 28, 2012
    Well I have stairs and I have an elliptical. Guess I can kick the dust off and do my best in the next two weeks. EKy, not out west, so hopefully I’ll survive.

mallardkiller, mac0492 and bgkyarcher like this.
  4. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Yes. It was in Field and Stream, or Outdoor Life many years ago.....

xbokilla likes this.
  5. Brody

Brody 6 pointer

Apr 7, 2019
    No place like home
    Some of these Eastern ky mts are worse than some out west for steepness

6. Drahts

Drahts 10 pointer

Apr 7, 2015
    KY
    with a 70# pack on! But work up to it.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    Straight up like a mules face.. after decades of climbing them my joints are wore slap out

Brody likes this.
  8. KYBOY

KYBOY 12 pointer

Apr 21, 2005
    Floyd,co..Kentucky
    You hunt’n out in my country?

9. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Good luck. Wish I could be there.

xbokilla likes this.
  10. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    If that’s the case, I don’t need to exercise at all. Haven’t seen a big buck since 1993. Thanks for giving me an excuse to be lazy :D

11. mac0492

mac0492 6 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    This^^^
    Train harder than you plan to hunt and it will be more enjoyable.

The harder you sweat in training the less you bleed in combat...

It’s a universal truth

mallardkiller and KYBOY like this.
  12. Duster

Duster 12 pointer

Roughest thing I found while hunting out west was someone stole the air. Took about 3 days before I could go up hill very far. The flat lands of Indiana will do that to you. Got out of the truck first time out into Wy other than a gas stop and walked about 50 yards up a hill and had to sit down for a while. I thought I was in pretty good shape but found I was not ready for altitude over 1000 foot. Our campsite was at 5,900.

13. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    i know exactly where the L5 is at.. must be a weak point in the spine.. mine has lost 50% of height. i think it is an old injury, but when i fell, and fractured it, was when the sciatic pain began..
    i have lost over an inch in height, from when i was 17, but i think it is an going process, of older age. Then there is this thing of, if you dont use it, ya lose it.
    i know it refers to brains, i got near none, but muscles, that sit on a couch, wither away..
    the Brown hotel, close to the toy tiger.,, in the day, i could go up the steps, every other step to the 10th floor.. 14 floors to the elevator room. now i got days where 1 flight of stairs, gets me windy. it happens, but you can work on it, if ya do..
    once ya lose the momentum of young age, is when you start falling apart..
    now to get the momentum of gray hair out of the way.. :)
    buck fever, happens all the time, in one form or another. climbing those hills while not in shape, is a large cake, waiting for the icing...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  14. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    My guess is that's a possibility, but
    I don't know if that scenario plays out that often but I do know that lot of guys do have heart attacks in the woods each year do to over exertion.

Many live largely sedentary lives, then deer season rolls around and we are off to trudge up and down hills and hollers.

The big buck heart attack scenario could play out, but, just not as often as a fat desk jockey falling over dead trying to get to the top of the next ridge..

I think most of us could drop a few pounds and we would feel so much better.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    bgkyarcher likes this.
  15. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Today is a day to either remember, but really probably one to forget. Today is the first time I think I've ever seen two guys on here commenting on each other's butts. What has this forum become?:eek:

barney likes this.