Hunt style ??

Discussion in 'Coon Hunting' started by lil' beaver, Feb 20, 2013.

1. lil' beaver

lil' beaver Fawn

Oct 14, 2010
    banks of the Licking
    What style of Hunter do you like? How far do you like them to Hunt?

2. kydirtdog44

kydirtdog44 6 pointer

Dec 23, 2011
    PENDLETON CO
    where u locqated in ky i c u said along the banks of the licking. licking river is a long one i live there to

3. carter county cuckler

carter county cuckler 10 pointer

Nov 25, 2009
    Hitchins,Ky
    I like a dog that hunts as soon as you turn him loose. A dog that takes his tracks as they come to him and has the brains to put ol Ricky up at the end of any track. Not all tracks end up a tree but as long as they finish it Im happy with em.I like for them to get treed somewhere but if they have hunted out say at least 600- 800yards and come back well that's Ok too. I hate todays style dogs, get deep and get treed. There is no excuse for a dog to get deep as many as coons as they are unless its just a real bad night. Most dogs of today are hotter nose and cold tracks just don't excite them and if they do try out a cold track they don't have the brains to figure it out. What happened to the mouth on these dogs? Some of these dogs open up and don't shut up from the time you turn them loose from the time you get em off the tree. Chop mouth everybreath on the track, cur sounding house dog on the tree with no locate. Yep these dogs are winning the hunts but you can keep that junk! JMO

4. GrouseAssasin

GrouseAssasin 12 pointer

Aug 1, 2009
    Jackson, ky
    ^^^^^^ what he said. Foolish, competition bred, run to the moon dogs are why I gave it up. I had an old dog that hunted like what CCC just described and loved it. He got too old and when I tried to replace him I spent more time hunting dogs then hunting coons. Got old quick and decided it wasn't worth it anymore.