Hummingbirds gone wild

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
I usually have four or five birds during the summer but lately they are too many to try and count.
They are draining my feeder completely every day and sometimes have to refill before the end of the day.
I have one feeder at my kitchen window, and it is in the sun, and they stay at this one. I have another one across on the corner of my porch and is shaded by trees. They won't touch that feeder.
I don't know why all of the sudden we have so many birds. The only thing I can think of is a nice neighbor lady passed away and may have been feeding hummingbirds and now she is gone those birds have come to my feeders.
I told my wife I may have to thin them out with a BB gun (just joking with her) because I can't afford to feed them.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I usually have four or five birds during the summer but lately they are too many to try and count.
They are draining my feeder completely every day and sometimes have to refill before the end of the day.
I have one feeder at my kitchen window, and it is in the sun, and they stay at this one. I have another one across on the corner of my porch and is shaded by trees. They won't touch that feeder.
I don't know why all of the sudden we have so many birds. The only thing I can think of is a nice neighbor lady passed away and may have been feeding hummingbirds and now she is gone those birds have come to my feeders.
I told my wife I may have to thin them out with a BB gun (just joking with her) because I can't afford to feed them.

Lol... I have new hummer friends, too. Noticed one, after setting out my flowers; so, I hung one feeder a few days ago and like that old movie, "Build it and they will come". Many hummers now. Mr. 40 Acre Pond's mother passed away a few months before my father last year, and she used to feed the hummers here. One of her old feeders was still hanging and full of old hyper juice, from when she last filled it. I am pleased to carry on with such in her memory, as well as that of my father. One is hovering within five feet of me now.

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
20220730_074832.jpg

JR PORTER

10 pointer
May 1, 2014
KNOTT CO. KY
Thats funny, I was somewhere the other day and I remember seeing some hummingbirds flying around some flowers or maybe it was a feeder but I remember thinking I've never seen so many hummingbirds in one place!

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
It is dangerous to step out my door. They are zipping all over the place chasing each other.
Sitting on my side porch and they will zip by just a few inches from your face.
My wife sits with her head out the door looking and trying to count, Oh well that gives her something to do and keeps her out of my hair for a while.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
We have 4 feeders on our porch, 2 on the south side, 1 on the west and one on the north side. They drain at least 2 per day, sometimes 3. I'm guessing we have 20-25. In May we had about 11 here, then a big storm came in and we had 2 after it for a month. Had another storm and we picked up to maybe 8, then all a sudden we had a herd. There herd has been here all July. I have to buy sugar by the 25# size now.

JR PORTER

10 pointer
May 1, 2014
KNOTT CO. KY
My Mother loved hummingbirds; she had several feeders every summer in the front yard. I've watched her many times standing still beside the feeders and letting them lite on her shoulder. Good memories for sure.

Latest posts