How you keep feet warm

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by captain71, Nov 4, 2019.

1. mac0492

mac0492 8 pointer

Oct 15, 2013
    Muck or Lacrosse rubber boots with wool socks and hot hands feet warmers inside my boots. I’ve also read you can take an emergency blanket and cut into small pieces but my feet would sweat too much if I did that.

2. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    Sweating going to stand is one major cause of feet getting cold. I never learn though. Lol

3. 00noturkey

00noturkey 10 pointer

Oct 31, 2011
    high grove, ky
    this makes 4 of my tips, i left out the neck, usually, if the head and hands are warm the feet seem to be warm, the feet, an the hands, the head is warm, the head an the feet, the hands are warm. just a theory.,, plus i left out the neck.. loose over lapping clothing
    ya dont tuck your shirts into a belt, let them hang over. since i am short, shirts are to long, so i dont even try to get a shirt, inside a belt..
    i got some mittens, with a pocket, over the fingers, where you can put toe warmers. i wish i had got more than 1 pair.
    the yellow liner, it goes inside a hard hat, it will help keep your ears warm. the deer wont see it because it is under camo..
    it was 15f out, best i can remember, maybe a tad more, just really cold., after being in the woods till near dark, we checked out some other WMA sites around the lake. there were bout 15 people at one site. i was the only one with a taboggenen, hunter orange. ya could near piss an ice sickle. the other hunters all had hats of some sort, and their ear lobes were sticking out at the bottom. redder than a cherry mator.. on the other hand i, had lightly packed my ears with TP., to keep my ear canals warm, yet hear deer.. then put the yellow liner over my head. i used my spring turkey, face mack, covered by the boggen.. that mask also covered my neck, now that i think about it.
    most of the hunters looked at me as strange, while some looked on with envy, as i was the only one in the group, with warm ears..
    was cold, that day..

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. kriggs

kriggs 6 pointer

Jan 23, 2016
    Yes, Artic Shield boot blankets work. I used them last year a few times over my Muck boots with small hand warmers dropped in and they are great. A little bulky but i can still easily stand and turn around in my deer stands.

Worleybird and KY Swamp Beagler like this.
  5. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I don’t even noticed the heat warmers stuck in my boot....other than my feet being warm.

6. Mainbeam

Mainbeam 12 pointer

Jul 7, 2012
    I shake me up some handwarmers. Stick them in the toe of my boot and slide my foot in. I like for the warmer to be on the bottom of my toes. Works great. I dont even wear two pairs of socks

7. OLE RASPY

OLE RASPY 10 pointer

Sep 9, 2018
    Barren county
    I wish I could do the warmers in boots. Can’t stand nothing in my boot though. Lol

8. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I like the Army Surplus silk/nylon EWACS stuff under with a good fleece over that with a waterproof/windbreaking shell.

9. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    Also a warm drink would be sweet. I like the short Slim Jims for a good stand snack. I take a handful of them. Deer can probably scent me from a mile downwind but who cares!

10. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    These days, I do what I can to stay warm, but if it gets really uncomfortable, I start still hunting, or head to the cabin. When it isn't fun anymore, I go re-group and come back another time. I usually don't have much problem and stay pretty warm. It's funny how you forget about your cold feet when there's a buck slowly working his way to your stand!

bgkyarcher likes this.
  11. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Since I started wearing bibs in cold weather, I have no problem with my hands. Keep them inside the bibs.... My heavy boots are a size larger than I need to allow room for the disposable hand warmers....

12. Iceman35

Iceman35 12 pointer

Oct 27, 2008
    Boone County
    They work, but only fit up to a size 13 boot. I wear size 14, and therefore, mine don't really fit. I can stretch them on, but then they are tight, and that doesn't really help.

13. bondhu

bondhu 12 pointer

Jul 3, 2015
    Battle Run
    I turn the control knob to flow out defrost & floor vents.

FOWLER2671 and Meatstick like this.
  14. Grundle

Grundle Fawn

Nov 25, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I used to wear crazy boots in an effort to keep my feet warm. I have an old pair of Cabelas Iditarod pack boots that were supposed to be good down to -100F. I wore them, stumbled around the woods like Frankenstein, and my feet still got cold.

I think the guys here focusing on keeping your head, neck and core warm are on target. A warm pair of socks (I like Darn Tough wool socks) and good boots are important too. But if your body is cold, your feet will be cold no matter what boots you are wearing.

15. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    Go to the store to the meat Dept. Get some of that foam pads they put meat on. place your sock foot on it. Trace around it cut it out place it in the bottom of your boots.