How you keep feet warm

Discussion in 'General Hunting' started by captain71, Nov 4, 2019.

1. captain71

captain71 10 pointer

Nov 3, 2011
    Western Ky
    I been having problems keeping my feet warm. How you all keep them warm? Are them booties you put over your boots any good? This coming weekend it's going to be cold.

tbob131 likes this.
  2. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    600g minimum of thinsulate in my boots plus some good wool socks.

00noturkey and Thomas Roberts like this.
  3. wv67

wv67 10 pointer

Dec 19, 2017
    Southern wva
    Depends how cold it is , I have mucks and wool socks if it’s gonna be in the 20s I have an awesome pair of pac boots but I wear other boots to my stand once settled I put on the pac boots , look up sorrel pac boots their awesome , but to answer your question the boot blankets are nice and you can place hot hands on top of your boots before putting the blankets on

4. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    The disposable hand/toe warmers stuck to the sole and or top of your boot. Maybe top and bottom if it’s really cold. Wool socks. Muck boots. That’s the only remedy I’ve found. My feet freeze sitting in a stand.

5. FOWLER2671

FOWLER2671 12 pointer

Sep 11, 2009
    Evicted from Aintry'
    I haven't had much problem with cold feet in a long time. Good boots that are not tight. Atleast one size larger or so. Merino Wool socks. 1000-1600 grams of Thinsulate.

carnivore and ojibwa62 like this.
  6. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    I have a pair of boot blankets , but the only time I use them is in a box blind when it's real cold, I take my boots off and put my sock feet in them, sometimes I toss a hand warmer inside.

I don't wear any rubber boots on cold days insulated or not my feet get cold.

In a tree stand I wear 1000 gram thinsulate and good wool socks.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  7. ojibwa62

ojibwa62 12 pointer

Jul 1, 2018
    NOTW
    That's one of the main things, Don't wear boots that are tight and don't lace boots up too tight it cuts off circulation.

Jason1977 and FOWLER2671 like this.
  8. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    I have the heavyweight Lacrosse boots. Not sure how much thinsulate they have. I wear a pair of silk socks underneath good wool socks. I stick a small disposable hand warmer in the toe of each boot. With this, my toes rarely get cold.

9. EC

EC 12 pointer

Jul 13, 2003
    Louisville, KY.
    You may want to get your blood sugar tested. Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes when your hands or feet or cold--when it didn't used to be that way, might be indicative of diabetes. Might be...not a sure bet tho.

timer likes this.
  10. bstickin1

bstickin1 8 pointer

Jul 1, 2005
    Rocky Hill, Kentucky
    Military mickey mouse boots have worked good for me but my favorite is a good pac boot with a pair of tog socks with a 4.7 rating you can find on ebay and a pair or 2 of the 35 below, or Michael Jackson socks as I call them, underneath. Make sure if you get the tog socks your boots are a size, maybe 2 bigger than normal because they're really thick. BTW tog isn't a certain brand, it's just a rating for how warm they are but you can find them on ebay just searching tog socks.

11. DH13

DH13 12 pointer

Jan 13, 2012
    Shelby county
    My feet don't really get that cold. Muck boots wool socks Deer hunting. 1600 thinsolate waders Duck hunting.

12. Cornpile

Cornpile 12 pointer

Dec 1, 2006
    Kornfield County,KY
    You must keep your head and neck warm. Those are your main heat loss
    areas. If you lose heat there your body will cut off circulation to feet and
    hands first. That is why they get cold first. Get a neck gaiter/scarf and a
    insulated sock cap/beanie. Merino wool for socks is the best.
    Eat a good breakfast before you head out and load up high energy snacks
    for mulching on every couple of hours. In cold temps you must throw fuel to your body
    for energy to produce heat.
    I know this sure helps a lot by learning its miserable to have cold hands and feet

carnivore, timer, Grundle and 3 others like this.
  13. Cornpile is headed in the right direction. If you keep your core warm, your hands and feet will also stay warm. I use good boots, insulated Danner's with merino wool socks. But more importantly, I also place about four of the adhesive backed hand/body warmers onto my thermal under shirt and two in my pockets which are right over the femoral arteries. I use a high grade fleece under garment and wear my hunting clothes over that. As long as I can keep my core warm, the feet stay toasty. In addition, I try to get out into the woods in the cold as many days as I can in the weeks leading up to hunting season. It takes my body about 3-4 days of exposure to adapt to the cold. After that, I am much more comfortable.

Instead of a baseball cap, in colder weather I use a fleece hat that is much warmer and can by pulled down over the ears if needed. I wrap a shemagh or similar warm scarf around my neck for added insulation if it is very cold. This can also be wrapped around your nose and head if needed. These were popular in the desert for lots of reasons. It keeps the cold and the wind off of your head and face. You just have to still comply with the orange hat rule.

Grundle and FOWLER2671 like this.
  14. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    I bought a pair of the Artic Shield boot insulators on a Black Friday sale last year - plan on using them opening day.

My go to for keeping warm is First Lite merino wools socks and wool neck gaitor, a fleece beanie or balaclava. A good vest helps me, too. I like an old Carhartt or my First Lite vest because it’s made with 37.5 helps with wicking and the tail is long so it covers your butt when you sit down.

And I ain’t above packing in a thermos of coffee in my Stanley thermos. I sit all day in the rut so coffee and a book helps.

FOWLER2671 likes this.
  15. carnivore

carnivore 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2007
    Ky
    Performance silk or regular?
    I joke but honestly next time i go to the store im buying a pair of them fancy underwear.