How to Keep the Dog out of the Holiday Decorations

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by scsims, Sep 23, 2014.

1. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

My bird dog seems to be getting into everything here lately, he steals anything that he can get his mouth on if I'm not around. My son was on the deck reading a book for school yesterday, he laid it down to go in and get something to drink when he came back it was shredded out in the yard.

Now my wife wants to put out some Halloween decorations and I just know that he will steal and tear them apart if she does, but I've been tasked in keeping him out of them. I may try and run a 2nd wire from the underground fence around the area, but that will only allow me to have one area hot at a time. We've tried "dog away" and he ignores it.

Does anyone have anything that has worked short of setting up underground fences or barriers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. patiodaddy

patiodaddy 10 pointer

Get you some Tabasco or Franks and mix up a spray and wet those decorations down. He might chew up one but he will soon get the idea.

3. corndogggy

corndogggy 12 pointer

Jul 20, 2005
    sprinkle cayenne pepper powder on the stuff.

4. Lady Hunter

Lady Hunter 12 pointer

Jan 12, 2009
  5. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    How olds the dog? Still young and being trained?

6. smashdn

smashdn 12 pointer

Nov 24, 2003
    Palmyra, Kentucky
    Let him run deers. Someone will keep him out of the holiday directions.

7. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

He's 10 months, and being trained. But it's hard to train him when he's outside and not being supervised.

8. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Use a collar for bird hunting, but not for anything else yet. I know some will say I should keep him in a kennel when not supervised, which the underground fence keeps him contained but not out of trouble..... I have a 10x10 kennel but would rather not keep him in it when I'm home.

9. grouseguy

grouseguy Cyber-Hunter

Then don't get upset when a puppy acts like a puppy. He needs to understand "NO" and have it consistently applied ... not left unattended at 10 months.

10. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Good point. This brings up another issue, when in his kennel he is chewing on the chain link fencing and bending it.

Any recommendations for deterring this? I was thinking to either just sale this one and get the better welded wire kennel or possibly trying to run a electric fence wire just inside of the walls to keeps him off of them.

I know he sounds like a terror but it's only when he's board, he is great in the field and house.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  11. just me

just me 12 pointer

Sep 26, 2013
    I can't believe I'm going to say this.......I agree. :eek:

12. KY Swamp Beagler

KY Swamp Beagler 12 pointer

Feb 20, 2011
    the swamps of western KY
    Ditto. You have a pup that equates to the maturity level of a two year old child. What you are asking of that pup is unrealistic at best. Would you leave things out for a two year old to get in to? Have you ever tried to keep a two year from grabbing ornaments off of a Christmas tree? There's no difference.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  13. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    Kennel the dog not an option when you're not home?

14. 120+

120+ 12 pointer

A .22 bullet will do the trick every time.

15. scsims

scsims 10 pointer

Yeah I do keep him in a crate inside or the outside kennel when not at home. The problem is in the 15-20 minutes that he goes outside periodically I can't see him all the time unless I go looking.