How to hunt a farm with 90% oaks

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
one way in and out. 50 acres of pure raining acorns. Nothing on camera except does. Mostly a solid flat on a ridge top. There's a pretty steep creek bed along the property line. Small field on the back with mowed hay. I know they are hitting the whites right now. But more than likely a place I can't quietly get to. Should be a great rut hunt place but bow hunting is tough as hell in there. Anyone else experiencing acorn hell this year ?

docbuck

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2014
western ky
between the hickory and oaks in Hartford it is hard to narrow down the Location of my deer. I will just keep following the wind and the food. Hopefully it all comes together.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Find that one white oak that looks like a roto tiller has been run under it. Deer, just like squirrels in a scaley bark, will zone in on a particular tree for whatever reason. I've seen it, and used it my whole life. Especially when I hunted Fort Knox alot. Many of those hunt areas were nothing BUT white oaks. It took a fine toothed comb to be successful with a bow

wademup

12 pointer
Feb 5, 2004
benton, ky, USA.
I once was in a 800 plus acre lease that had one opening, the road that ran through it :) The one year we had it was a an acorn explosion and it was tough . Pretty much like hunting LBL. However there is always those certain spots they favor, sometimes it's hard to figure.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Use your climber! Move around until you find a butt load of activity, and hunt it that afternoon. Good luck!

Jerod

10 pointer
Oct 30, 2008
KY
I'm going to get down and walk around the drop offs and creek bed area. I tried to screen shot and post but no go. I've scouted and ran 4 cams on the right side of the farm and it appears most of the activity is from the deer jumping the neighbors fence and coming over. I'm seeing small rubs on the property line back right side. I haven't scouted the left at all. I'm going to try to find a saddle where I won't kill myself getting to on the left side. I wish I had a side by side or something to cover ground much faster. It's odd to just have a place like this and only have spikes and a small 6 in there all month. Maybe before a rain would be the best.

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
Look at a topo, look for sadles or severe elevation changes near the top of ridges. Look for the place where ridges come together. Go to you deer hunting roots and hunt old school.

docbuck

10 pointer
Nov 28, 2014
western ky
Use your climber! Move around until you find a butt load of activity, and hunt it that afternoon. Good luck!
Agree with climber 100%. Quit climbing a few years back due to an injury. Then last year got a Tree Walker. Summit was nice, but the TW is awesome. I climb comfortably again now, and move to where I need to. If they wont come to me, I go to them.

useyourbow

12 pointer

x3
If you are just hunting deer in general use a climber. Walk in, find the most/freshest sign and climb. Another option is to consider the oak flat as a large city. Even though there is high traffic inside the city limits there are always arteries (interstates) that bring the deer to the city/oak flat. Good luck.

ancienthunter

8 pointer
Dec 25, 2011
Over the Hill
I agree with meatstick, there's always one spot they favor over others. Also look for rubs and scraps that means bucks are spending time there. This time of year I do more walking than hunting trying to figure what the bucks are doing. As for getting in there to hunt them, you need some trails cut to some of the hot spots for quiet access, a little late this year but something to think about for this winter.

EarlyBird1

8 pointer
Aug 4, 2014
SouthCentral KY
one way in and out. 50 acres of pure raining acorns. Nothing on camera except does. Mostly a solid flat on a ridge top. There's a pretty steep creek bed along the property line. Small field on the back with mowed hay. I know they are hitting the whites right now. But more than likely a place I can't quietly get to. Should be a great rut hunt place but bow hunting is tough as hell in there. Anyone else experiencing acorn hell this year ?
Do you have connections at Fort Campbell where you could call in an air strike with Napalm? If not I have no suggestions. The acorns this year are an unmitigated disaster. I feel so lucky to have gotten my buck before they reached the peak of their magical season ruining powers. A climber is definitely the way to go but if you are confined to 50 acres you are probably screwed. Figure out where the does are actually using your 50 acres and wait for the rut.... and pray for a total mast failure next year.

Latest posts