How to get regs changed for species

Discussion in 'Fish & Wildlife Questions' started by Jacobhwrd, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    I am wanting to know if anyone has a clue how to go about trying this. I am an avid crow hunter and while ky is a great place to be for this some of the regulations could use some tweeks. Does anyone know how to start this process or has anyone tried it themselves?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. rys40

rys40 8 pointer

Nov 29, 2006
    Lawrenceburg, KY
    If it's a regulation (KAR), start with speaking to your commission member.

Statute (KRS) would be the legislature.

Basically speaking anyway.

3. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    Ok Thanks. I will take a lol at it and find out for sure. I never really paid attention to notice there was a difference

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. CSS archer

CSS archer BBBC Members

Dec 13, 2001
    Central KY
    Crow became a "protected" species in an agreement with Mexico or another Central American country as I remember. Seems like it was their National Emblem as our bald eagle, so regulations were passed on the national/international level. I think we (KY) may be as liberal with opportunity as possible.

Did you know that if you shoot depredating crows out of season, you have to use steel shot?

5. Jacobhwrd

Jacobhwrd 6 pointer

Jan 26, 2014
    Richmond, Ky
    You are correct about how they became "protected" (I have to use that word as loosely as possible) but there is almost nothing as far as federal regulations. The only thing that is regulated federally is the amount of days a year they may be hunted. But each state gets to decide when those dates are. TN only allows crow hunting on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This allows them to keep it open for most of the year and most people only hunt on the weekends. Alabama has by far the best regulations I know of. They limit it to 60 days a year but it is at the hunters discretion as to when those 60 days are. They have found that even though we all hit certain species very hard we still don't go more then 60 times a year regardless of what it is. They have also removed the shot shell limit while crow hunting (I haven't been able to confirm this myself yet). But you can NOT take any other game animal while you are able to have more then 3 shells in your gun at once. These are the two thing I am actually after in this endeavor.

Edit: I have actually never heard of the steel shot regulation or read it anywhere. I have already contacted fish and wildlife about the regs and they are going to email me everything they can find on the full regulations as they stand now. Should be an interesting read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk