How Quickly Things Can Escalate

Discussion in 'Community Forum' started by ptbrauch, Mar 11, 2016.

1. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
  2. richief

richief 10 pointer

Jun 20, 2012
    down a holler SE KY
    Glad the officer prevailed and didn't get too badly hurt. But what was the perps motivation, the news story would have us believe it was because he was Suspicious of the government and carried a gun. Wow.
    I am suspicious of the government and carry a gun too.
    Shooting anyone, especially a cop is not exactly a matter of course though.
    Why does this writer make it seem like it is. Disturbing

3. EdLongshanks

EdLongshanks 12 pointer

Nov 16, 2013
    Northern Kentucky
    I grew up literally less than a mile (as the crow flies) from where this occurred. Why is this the first time I've really heard about this?

edit: it might be a mile and a half, but I'm saying it's less than 2 miles (as he crow flies).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  4. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    First I heard of it was when it came across my Facebook feed.

5. useyourbow

useyourbow 12 pointer

Because when an officer is justified using deadly force it doesn't sell news papers.

6. Brown Dogs Matter

Brown Dogs Matter 12 pointer

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    Sure, it does. Ferguson and Darren Wilson ring a bell? Closer to home, there's McKenzie Mattingly and LMPD.

7. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    I think you missed his point. And in both incidents you cite, it was only after initial controversy that it was later proven to be justified.

8. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    The only controversy is created by malcontents who refuse to hold people accountable for their actions. The media fans the flames and makes the situation worse. For people who are familiar with laws concerning the application of deadly force, there is no controversy. Ofc. Wilson shot a guy who assaulted him and tried to take away his gun. Ofc. Mattingly shot a guy who tried to shoot him. I bet you don't remember that a gun was found on Newby, in his waistband, right where Mattingly said Newby was reaching when he got shot. The news didn't bother mentioning that more than once or twice during the entire incident.

Both Wilson and Mattingly were victims of a politically correct system that places more value on the opinions of a minority group, than on the truth. That leads me back to some comments I made in another thread. The overall attitude toward police in this country, aided and abetted by politicians and the media, will have disastrous results for the civilian world. Officers around the country are engaging in de-policing. Meaning, they are changing from proactive behavior at work, to simply reacting to calls. Armed report takers, if you will.

It's only gonna get worse. Maryland just lost an officer during an attack on a police station. Tragically, it turns out that another officer fired the fatal shot. I don't know the exact circumstances, but I do know that an asshole attacked a police station, and an officer died. Others have been assaulted for no reason, some killed, some survived. But, the media/PC driven nonsense out there is making it bad for police who just want to do their jobs. That, in turn, affects quality of life for the rest of us.

Not good.

And yeah, I get what he meant. I think it could be said plainer, but that might break the rules here.

9. ptbrauch

ptbrauch 12 pointer

Nov 10, 2004
    The OC
    Don't misinterpret what I said, I agree with you fully on this.

10. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    I figured you did - most folks I talk with are getting tired of the staged protests and idiocy coming from the left.

11. Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter 12 pointer

Nov 17, 2002
    Goetz Farm
    What was the guy in the van thinking? It looked like he was trying to intimidate the cop, and when the cop persisted, he decided to just shoot him. Were there drugs or a warrant involved that anybody has heard of?

12. Brown Dogs Matter

Jun 7, 2004
    Louisville, KY.
    After so long in this business, I've stopped trying to figure out why people do stupid things. They do, and that's how it is. I could fill up the allotted bandwidth of this site, if I shared all the times over the years that I've seen people do something so stupid it makes your head hurt.