How quickly a good hunt can turn bad. Graphic Pic

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by w/chunter, Nov 5, 2012.

1. w/chunter

w/chunter 6 pointer

Sep 7, 2008
    Cumberland Gap, TN
    This morning I 2 of my friends from out of town met at my house and we headed to a farm 20 minutes from my house. We unloaded our atv.s and proceeded up the hill to our set-ups. Greg had just purchased a used Yamaha 250, I was on my Polaris, and Mike had his Honda. I went first and proceeded to my blind with no problems. Greg was going to stop and assist me with unloading my wheelchair before going on up the ridge where he was going to park his atv next to a dozer that has been left sitting on top of the ridge when they got through clearing 2 acres of undergrowth. I had just got parked and was getting my wheelchair off the back rack when my cell phone started vibrating. It was Greg who advised me he had flipped his atv and was hurt. I loaded my wheelchair back up and went down to find him was sitting on his with his leg raised up. He warned me the cut was bad and pulled up his leg. When I saw the damage, I immediately rode down the ridge and found Mike, who came and got Greg's leg bandaged up and we made it back to the trucks. We told Mike to go ahead and hunt while I took Greg to the local hospital for treatment. 121105950000.jpg Fortunately no ligaments or tendons were torn. We're thinking the foot peg caused the gash. A surgeon was called and Greg was taken to the OR, where the wound was irrigated well, and 3 levels of stitches were needs; deep, intermediate, and surface. Guys, be careful out there. We're just thankful Greg wasn't hunting alone.

Oh, and Mike texted us a picture an hour and half later of a button buck he killed...out of my blind! Congrats Mike!!!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  2. gatorgrowl

gatorgrowl Spike

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando Fl
    WOW.....Thank God he had a good friend standing by. Hope it all mends well and he is back at it soon.
    Gatorgrowl..(.from Florida but heading to Princeton Ky Thursday and will be gun hunting Saturday morning.....)

3. new guy

new guy Banned

Jun 30, 2011
    deep in the mountains
    looks painful...hope he will still be able to get to hunt

4. GoneHunting

GoneHunting 6 pointer

Oct 26, 2012
    PCB Florida
    Thank goodness for phones and having friends close by.......I'll say a prayer tonight for his speedy recovery and quick return to the field.

5. Strutter

Strutter Cyber-Hunter

Dec 9, 2001
    USA.
    That is one bad looking cut/gash. Hope he mends well and good luck to you guys.

6. High Rack

High Rack 12 pointer

Dec 21, 2009
    in the hills
    Yowsa.............Feelers we all know 4 wheelers are nothing to fool with, like anything you ride on or in, there is a chance. You gotta be careful.

Glad you fellers were there to help him out and get him help.

7. WildmanWilson

WildmanWilson 12 pointer

Dec 26, 2004
    Western Ky.
    Talk about a bad day. Man that looks awful. I hope he is able to hunt with a leg in that shape. With the rut in full swing I may have told him I'd come get him in about 4 hours if he could hold on...Just trying to lighten the mood. Glad you guys were there for him.

8. OUTBACK

OUTBACK 8 pointer

Nov 6, 2005
    W. KY
    I hate that your friend had his accident, but praise God he is still alive. I pray for his speedy recovery and hopefully he can still make it out to do a little hunting.

9. kywallace69

kywallace69 12 pointer

Aug 18, 2008
    Zone 1
    Those foot pegs can cause a large amount of damage. I wrecked my CRF450R during a motocross race back in 04'. I was hitting a tabeltop jump about 90 feet in length and it will put you about 20 feet high in the air. I hit it in 3rd gear about half throttle and while I was in the air another racer contacted me while in the air and I just let go of the bike and when I landed it was on the bike and the foot peg went through my armpit. It ripped a massive hole in my armpit and caused severe damage. I went to the ER and the ER docs was all around sticking there hand in my gashed armpit. I asked for pain meds and they said they didn't like motocross racers because they are always in the ER. (They are really not supposed to due this but o'well) I had to keep a drain tube in it for 2 weeks. I raced for two years later and gave it up due to my age. Now I just ride for fun.

10. Luckybuck

Luckybuck 10 pointer

May 29, 2006
    N. KY
    Glad you were there for your bud, it could have turned out worse!

11. reivertom

reivertom 12 pointer

Dec 17, 2007
    Greenup Co.
    Thanks for showing this and sharing the story. I just bought my first 4 Wheeler and I am going to use it hunting next Saturday for the first time. This will stick in my head and help keep me from getting stupid on purpose. Sometimes things can't be helped, but I've been known to push my luck on occasions and now that I'm older I need a different mind set. Hope your buddy makes a speedy recovery.

12. bgkyarcher

bgkyarcher 12 pointer

Aug 23, 2011
    BG
    good lord, that looks bad. glad it wasn't worse. that's why I just don't like to hunt alone any more. you never know.

13. Shaine1985

Shaine1985 12 pointer

Jul 11, 2012
    your moms
    dear god! Hope he makes a quick recovery..but congrats to your other buddy Mike

14. triumpster

triumpster 6 pointer

Nov 8, 2011
    Man I wish the best for him hope he has a fast recovery with no problems!!

15. yelper

yelper 8 pointer

Nov 17, 2003
    Dang, he is lucky he didn't lose his leg. My cousin's husband lost his life on his 4 wheeler 2 years ago, he had been riding them for 20 years.